[It] is very useful to ensure that

yunenglish

Korean - English
Hello, teachers.

The following is some part of a reading material for high school students here in Korea.

However, from a human point of view, objectivity is just another attitude. It is an interpretation that deliberately ignores our feelings. [It] is very useful to ensure that scientific measurements are taken accurately and so on, but as far as life is concerned, it is a bit like turning the color off on your TV so that you see everything in black and white and then saying that is more truthful.

I understand from a dictionary that the word 'it' is used as a pronoun and also used as a formal subject. In this regard, I want to know what the usage of the [it] in the third sentence is.

Let me make my question more specific. Which one reads better in accordance with the context when I rephrase them as below?
1. Objectivity is very useful in that it could ensure that scientific measurements are taken accurately and so on, but ...
2. To ensure(or Ensuring) that scientific measurements are taken accurately and so on is very useful, but ...

Thank you in advance.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Ensuring that scientific measurements are taken accurately and so on is very useful, ... :thumbsup:

This "it" is the preparatory "it" and merely restates the complement.

yunenglish

Korean - English
    Thank you PaulQ. You always help me out.

With your explanation in mind I have read the full sentence several times. But I am still confused.
    Could you possibly read the full sentence and confirm it?

Ensuring that scientific measurements are taken accurately and so on is very useful, but as far as life is concerned, it is a bit like turning the color off on your TV so that you see everything in black and white and then saying that is more truthful.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Ensuring that scientific measurements are taken accurately and so on is very useful, but as far as life is concerned, it is a bit like turning the color off on your TV so that you see everything in black and white and then saying that is more truthful. :tick:

< Previous | Next >