It is/was my pleasure meeting you

skydown13

Mandarin
When you first meet a guy, do you say "it is my pleasure meeting you or was my pleasure meeting you"?

When others say thank you, do you say "it is my pleasure or was my pleasure"?

• Liam Lew's

Shouldn't it be "It's been my pleasure meeting you"?
    The simple present is fine as far as I'm concerned.
    However I'd rather be inclined to say "It's a pleasure meeting you".

skydown13, when you meet a guy the first time "It's a pleasure meeting you" is fine.

What do you mean by "When others say thank you"? Would you like to explain a bit more.

Last edited:

skydown13

Mandarin
    You do them a favor, so they say "thank you". Can I respond to 'Thank you' with "it is my pleasure or was my pleasure"?

The simple present is fine as far as I'm concerned.
    However I'd rather be inclined to say "It's a pleasure meeting you".

skydown13, when you meet a guy the first time "It's a pleasure meeting you" is fine.

What do you mean by "When others say thank you"? Would you like to explain a bit more.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In my experience, we usually don't use a full, formal sentence in these circumstances. We say something like, "A pleasure to meet you." This can be said on first being introduced, or when parting.

Selena2014

English - UK
    In most cases you will say "it IS my pleasure to meet you". This is because you are present and still feel like it is your pleasure, hence the phrase should not be past tense. Therefore it is also more common to say "its a pleasure" or Its's a pleasure to meet you".

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    I suspect there is a big difference between US and Br English.

Brits are often a bit quiet on this sort of thing, and you might sometimes only get a nod and a smile in response to a "thank you" - which would be perfectly alright and polite (context is everything!) - or perhaps a quietly said "pleasure", or "no problem" or "you're welcome".

When meeting someone for the first time, you might say "lovely to meet you", and when you part you might say "it was lovely to meet you". (In my circles, "pleasure" is a bit formal, but it wouldn't be wrong instead of "lovely" in the examples I gave.)

Selena2014

English - UK
    I believe using the word "pleasure" in the phrase "pleasure to meet you" is always considered the friendlier version. Especially when you meet someone who could potentially be important to you, I would always recommend using the word "pleasure" as it has a more sensual tone to it.

BTW where on this forum can I start my own thread?

Selena2014

English - UK
    I think I am not granted permission because I cannot find it and where it says 'you may post new threads' in the posting permission box, I cannot click on it. I am being redirected to the forum rules... I dont understand. I just joined this site...

Thomas O'Maley

Serbian
    As to the grammar of "It was a pleasure meeting you", it is generally much less common to find -ing participle in this type of construction than to-inf. With this phrase, there is no difference, but extraposing -ing participle is less common than to-inf with "be", and rare with other verbs. Here's from this grammar on Google Books
    http://books.google.me/books?id=fgCr2CJhvEcC&pg=PA258&lpg=PA258&dq=ing+participle+with+it+extraposition&source=bl&ots=8f6A_dagAu&sig=1JsrMqO0el7pL2KTBmegSNyNOPU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xrQSVLa_JsXnOavBgTg&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=ing participle with it extraposition&f=false

"While to-infinitive clauses are freely postponed, extraposition of -ing participle clauses is much rarer, and is usually characteristic of informal style."

< Previous | Next >