It looks like a nail biter to me.

Arzhela

French
Is "a nail biter to me" a phrase ??? I really don't know what "biter" is ?? The speaker is winning a game (he's in the lead for now but the game isn't over et it's not sure he'll win at the end)
Thanks to help me because I don't know if he says he's gonna loose or win the game, or if he's saying anything else !

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello Arzhela,

A nail biter is an event or situation with a close and uncertain outcome. Some people bite their fingernails when they are nervous about what may happen.

volky

Spanish/English
    biter: to seize and tear or grind something with the teeth. (nails in this case)

I think he is saying that he is not sure if he will end up wining, and that he is nervous. (When you eat your nails because you are anxious, nervous, concern).

Arzhela

French
    cuchuflete said:
    Hello Arzhela,

A nail biter is an event or situation with a close and uncertain outcome. Some people bite their fingernails when they are nervous about what may happen.
    Thank you very much Cuchuflete. That's very clear. So, in french it means : "J'ai l'impression que la partie est serrée."

Arzhela

French
    volky said:
    biter: to seize and tear or grind something with the teeth. (nails in this case)

I think he is saying that he is not sure if he will end up wining, and that he is nervous. (When you eat your nails because you are anxious, nervous, concern).
    Yes, that's right. Thank you Volky !

< Previous | Next >