It looks like it’s going to rain vs It is going to rain

< Previous | Next >

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hi teachers,
Is there much difference between Lucy and Mary's reply? Because I think, in both of them the evidence in the sky suggests that it is going to rain, according to Lucy and Mary's eyes.
Peter: What’s the weather like?
Lucy: It looks like it’s going to rain.
Mary: It is going to rain.

Thanks in advance.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    There is a difference between the people. I conclude that Lucy is a tentative, sceptical but observant person; Mary is peremptory and possibly self-satisfied, or else she is a professional meteorologist.

The difference between the content of their statements? Ask me again at the end of the day. :)

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    There is a difference between the people. I conclude that Lucy is a tentative, sceptical but observant person; Mary is peremptory and possibly self-satisfied, or else she is a professional meteorologist.
    Thanks for the great explanation Keith.
    The difference between the content of their statements? Ask me again at the end of the day. :)
    Sure ... to rain today ... maybe sunny and clear skies at the end of the day. ;)

Jaykay1053

English - Canada
    Mary is absolutely sure that it will rain. Lucy is more tentative or just as sure as Mary but less bossy/more sociable than Mary. For small talk, I prefer Lucy’s style!:)

< Previous | Next >