it may be a different story

artimedoros49

English
Hello,

My problem is with the above phrase in general, but with the modal verb may in particular. The context is as follows:
She sat there very quietly. Next year, when she learns to talk, it may be a different story. (in the sense of: it may be otherwise, ie., she may not sit there so quietly).

I have had a couple of tries. Would I be anywhere near correct?
Příští rok, když se naučí mluvit, možná, že to bude jinak.
Příští rok, když se naučí mluvit, snad to bude jinak.

Any help would be appreciated.

• bibax

Czech (Prague)
    First: in this context when translates as (or as pokud = if, if there are two more or less probable possibilities).
    Second: you can translate it may be word by word: to může být (may is směti, however in this context moci is better).

Příští rok, až se naučí mluvit, to může být jinak.
    Příští rok, až se naučí mluvit, to možná bude jinak.
    Příští rok, až se naučí mluvit, to snad bude jinak.
    Příští rok, až se naučí mluvit, to třeba bude jinak.

(Příští rok, pokud se naučí mluvit, ...)

možná (= maybe, possibly): to možná bude jinak = maybe it will be otherwise;
    snad, třeba (= perhaps): to snad bude jinak = perhaps it will be otherwise;

Another word order:

Možná to bude příští rok, až se naučí mluvit, jinak.
    Možná to bude příští rok — až se naučí mluvit — jinak. (— "em dash", in Czech: pomlčka from mlčeti = to be silent)
    Třeba to příští rok, až se naučí mluvit, bude jinak.
    Třeba to příští rok – až se naučí mluvit – bude jinak. (– "en dash", spojovník, also půlčtverčíková pomlčka; čtverčík = em quad, půlčtverčík = en quad).

In this case "až se naučí mluvit" is a vsuvka (= insertion, parenthesis).

Last edited:

pomeranc

czech
    Hi there, I would add an observation. In czech we use the word maybe instead of using the verb may. She may not know — asi o tom neví (možná o tom neví). He might have heard — možná to zaslechl.
    that is why many Czech speakers in English overuse the word maybe and say sentences like: Maybe she will join us tomorrow. Maybe he heard it. They will maybe be waiting for me tomorrow and similar :)))

To your sentence, I would say the following: "celé to může být úplně jinak" (it may be entirelly different). At least that is what I would say.
    Příští rok, až se naučí mluvit, to celé může být úplně jinak.

You can strip it a bit more, drop celé, drop úplně and say
    Příští rok, až se naučí mluvit, to může být jinak.
    But IMHO this lacks the urgency, similarly to omitting the "story" and say: It may be different. Adding "a different story" makes it more urgent in my opinion. The same goes for adding celé úplně jinak :)
    Hope my point of view helps. :)

pomeranc

czech
    @artimedoros49, I has occurred to me that adding the word však will give it a bit more of a proverbial sound (or literal narration style).

Příští rok, až se naučí mluvit, to však celé může být jinak.

:) I gotta say I am very pleased with the way it sounds now :D

< Previous | Next >