It meant I had to

oDnB

english-england
Hello :)
I am wondering how to translate "It meant I had to" in the following context:
" I thought it was annoying because it meant I had to share my room with my brother"
" Ich dachte, es war ärgerlich, weil musste ich mein Zimmer mit meinem Bruder teilen bedeutete musste ?
Also I feel the word order is slightly wrong, but I am not sure how it should be, any response would be great :)
Thanks

• Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello oDnB :)

Hello :)
    I am wondering how to translate "It meant I had to" in the following context:
    " I thought it was annoying because it meant I had to share my room with my brother"
    " Ich dachte, es war ärgerlich, weil musste ich mein Zimmer mit meinem Bruder teilen bedeutete musste ?
    Also I feel the word order is slightly wrong, but I am not sure how it should be, any response would be great :)
    Thanks
    This sentence would be correct:
    "Ich dachte, es war ärgerlich, weil es bedeutete, dass ich mein Zimmer mit meinem Bruder teilen bedeutete musste."

But I'd rather say:

"Das fand ich immer ärgerlich. Es bedeutete nämlich, dass ich mein Zimmer mit meinem Bruder teilen musste."

PS: In the sentences, I've marked the subclause "because it meant". In your German sentence, this subclause is incomplete (and torn apart :eek: ;)).

Last edited:

oDnB

english-england
    Hello oDnB :)

This sentence would be correct:
    "Ich dachte, es war ärgerlich, weil es bedeutete, dass ich mein Zimmer mit meinem Bruder teilen bedeutete musste."

But I'd rather say:

"Das fand ich immer ärgerlich. Es bedeutete nämlich, dass ich mein Zimmer mit meinem Bruder teilen musste."

PS: In the sentences, I've marked the subclause "because it meant". In your sentence, this subclause is incomplete (and torn apart :eek: ;)).
    Thanks a lot Sowka :) could you mention the difference in your translation to mine, i.e is it more colloquial?

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    I think I just wouldn't say: "Ich dachte, es war ärgerlich..". And if you write a sequence of shorter sentences, they will become more focused (and there's not so much risk of being lost in the structure of the sentence ;)).

But I think this is not a question of wrong or right.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >