it never really registered

ouuugg

Korean -Korea
Source: Chicago Justice, TV series
Context: Two investigators(male and female) are looking into the dead pregnant victim's desk at her work. They heard she got maternity leave last week for four weeks, which is the state minimum due to the office's busy schedule. And they learn that today was the due date from her calendar. Then, they talk to each other...

Female investigator: During my whole pregnancy, it never really registered that in the end I would have a baby.

< ---- >

Does it refer to maternity leave, or due date? I can't find out what register means here. My possible assuming is that she didn't get any maternity leave from her work so she gave a birth to her daughter(she has a daughter now), or that she did not know the exact due date until she gave a birth to her daughter. Is either one right?

< ---- >

Edited to remove additional questions. One question per thread, please. Cagey, moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Retired-teacher

British English
    "It" refers to the fact that she was pregnant. "Never really registered" means that it never became an easily accepted fact in her mind.

< --- >

Edited to remove answers to additional questions. Cagey, moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Barque

Tamil
    Only one question per thread, so I'll answer just the first one.
    Does it refer to maternity leave, or due date? I can't find out what register means here. I assume that she didn't get any maternity leave from her work so she gave a birth to her daughter(she has a daughter now). Is that right?
    "It" is a dummy subject. "Register" here refers to the realisation that she was actually going to give birth to a baby. I took some time to realise that my pregnancy would end with childbirth and that a baby would be born.

Cross-posted.

< Previous | Next >