it only earned one nomination

krazee

English - Canada
I'm writing a paper on a French film and I'm trying to say,

"In spite of the film's genius, it only earned one nomination at the Venice Festival in 1939."

Here are two possibilities I've come up with...

En dépit du génie du film, il a été nommé pour un seul prix au festival de Venice en 1939.

Or

En dépit du génie du film, il n'a été nommé pour qu'un prix au festival de Venice en 1939.

I'm not sure if I placed the "n' " and the "qu' " at the right places for the last one.
Help?

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    The "que" is good here because it conveys the notion of "one and one alone," the kindof surprising scarcity your sentence is emphasizing.

So where does it go? Before the "pour":

"... il (n')a été sélectionné que pour un prix au festival de Venise..."

(PS I put the "ne" in parentheses because you could also write the sentence without it.)

JeanDeSponde

France, Français
    When reading en dépit du génie du film, il n'a été..., my French brain understands first that le génie n'a été..., not le film...
    So I'd write malgré son génie, le film n'a été...
    This said, yes, n'a été sélectionné que is the best option (though the "ne" is not optional.)

Last edited:

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I also agree that "malgré son génie, le film..." is the best way to write the sentence, but I didn't want to proofread for off-topic problems...

JdS: So "le film a été sélectionné que pour un prix (ou que pour un unique prix)" wouldn't work? I'd be interested in hearing why the "ne" couldn't be left out. Is it because the sentence gets a positive meaning ("for one prize alone") rather than a negative one ("for only one prize and nothing else")?

krazee

English - Canada
    Thanks for your help... this is what I've decided to go with...

En dépit de son génie, le film n'a été nominé que pour un seul prix au festival de Venise, en 1939.

:)

JeanDeSponde

France, Français
    I'm not the right one to explain the intrincacies of our grammar, but no, "il a été sélectionné que..." can't work.
    I guess that ne...que is a set compound, it's nor a matter of being positive or negative.

< Previous | Next >