it provided for newly kindled fervour

< Previous | Next >

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from The Return of the Native, by Thomas Hardy.

A man arrived to heath from Paris. And she started to feel something for him. She had had a dream (about him) and she awoke.

I am not clear about in the last sentence what "its"and "it" refer to .

Could you help , thanks.

When she became cooler she perceived that many of the phases of the dream had naturally arisen out of the images and fancies of the day before. But this detracted little from its interest, which lay in the excellent fuel it provided for newly kindled fervour.

• chong lee

türkçe
    For "it", it seems reasonable. But for "its" , it becomes "...little from dream's interest..." which seems odd. I mean you may say "my interest in your dream.." but this form did not make sense for me.

JustKate

She's referring to the dream's interest for her - that is, to the interest that the dream holds for her or the reason the dream interests her. It is a slightly unusual structure, but not unknown. A similar example would be if you had a sentence that talked about a dream and "its importance" or "its significance." The dream itself doesn't have feelings of importance or significance, but it could be important or significant to the person who experienced it.

< Previous | Next >