it' s too troublesome to cook

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi
We know that cooking is not easy. First we need to buy materials(here we say "buy vegetables",which includ meats and plants). Second we have to clearn them . Then cut them into shapes we want. Finally, we have to cook them. Generally speaking, only after a series of process, can we enjoy the food.
So how do we describe the feeling about the complicated process? Can we say "it' s too troublesom to cook"?

Thanks a lot!!!

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Cooking is too troublesome or Cooking is too much work would work also.

Note the 'e' at the end of troublesome.

pob14

American English
    I think that would work, if you spell it correctly: troublesome. Note that by saying "it's too troublesome," you are saying that (in your opinion) it is not worth the effort to cook, and you therefore won't cook.

If you just mean it's lots of work, you could leave out the "too," or use an adverb such as "very."

Crossposted with Swiss Pete. We agree.

JustKate

I'd be more likely to say "It's too much trouble to cook," but troublesome is OK, too.

I hope this isn't off-topic - if it is, the mods should tell me so - but does "Buy vegetables" really mean "Buy produce (fruits and vegetables) and meats"? If so, interesting.

Myridon

English - US
    From the Word Reference dictionary on "troublesome":
    • causing a great deal of trouble; worrying, upsetting, or annoying
    • characterized by violence; turbulent
    The bold meaning is what is in my head when I hear "Cooking is troublesome." That's quite a bit different than "Cooking is too much trouble."

< Previous | Next >