it seemed a fine stroke to him that his lad <should> step into the whole property

< Previous | Next >

thetazuo

Chinese - China
“His son, you see, had grown up, and so had my girl, and as I was known to be in weak health, it seemed a fine stroke to him that his lad should step into the whole property.”

Sherlock Holmes Illustrated and Complete
Doyle, Arthur Conan

Context: “He” wanted his son to marry the speaker’s daughter so that the son could have a share of the speaker’s property.

Hi. Is the bold word putative should, which suggests surprise on the part of the speaker? If not, how should I understand the “should” here?
Thank you.

• london calling

UK English
    It doesn't denote surprise. Remember that in old-fashioned English 'should' was used slightly differently (there are threads about this use of 'should'. I have to admit I still use it this way sometimes, just as I still use 'shall' sometimes, but many don't).

The speaker is simply commenting that the father viewed the marriage of his son to the speaker's daughter favourably.

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Thank you, lc. Then how can I understand this “should” correctly? Does the word “stroke” requires “should” to follow it?

london calling

UK English
    'Stroke' has nothing to do with it. It means 'stroke of luck', a good thing.

As for 'shall', as I said there are already threads about it. Here it's used in its older sense. From the WRF Dictionary:

USAGE
    Should has, as its most common meaning in modern English, the sense ought as in I should go to the graduation, but I don't see how I can. However, the older sense of the subjunctive of shall is often used with I or we to indicate a more polite form than would: I should like to go, but I can't. In much speech and writing, should has been replaced by would in contexts of this kind, but it remains in formal English when a conditional subjunctive is used: should he choose to remain, he would be granted asylum .

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    As for 'shall', as I said there are already threads about it. Here it's used in its older sense. From the WRF Dictionary:
    Thank you again. Could you please give me some links of the related threads? I searched them with the keys word “shall/should”, but the hits don’t seem to address my question.

< Previous | Next >