[it seems to be] within a relative clause

< Previous | Next >

JungKim

Korean
SunGazette.com, based in Williamsport, PA, has this article titled "Citizen advocates" that quotes City Councilwoman Liz Miele as saying:
We have many smaller communities that, it seems to me, feel as though their concerns aren't and won't be addressed by government. When someone steps up and unites one of those communities, it can have a powerful effect not just within that community, but within government.
The clause it seems to me is inserted in the underlined relative clause, and my question is whether this type of insertion is as common. I usually see a clause like I think being inserted.

Also, when quoting the spoken language in writing, the journalist opted to insert commas around the inserted clause, but I've never seen commas put around an inserted clause like I think. Can you leave out the commas in this context?

Last edited:
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, it's quite common to use "it seems to me" in a semi-formal style of writing.
    I think you need the commas there to make it clear that the writer's opinion is an 'aside' from the rest of the sentence, and I'd use commas even if were writing the sentence using "I think" instead.

< Previous | Next >