It seems to crouch there like a great black beast, awaiting its next meal.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "It seems to crouch there like a great black beast, awaiting its next meal." means in the following sentences:

I look back towards the island. The weather has cleared now and there’s sunlight on the water but the island is cast in the shadow of an overhanging cloud. It seems to crouch there like a great black beast, awaiting its next meal. I turn away from it.

- Lucy Foley, The Guest List, Epilogue

This is a thriller novel published in 2020 in the United Kingdom. One hundred and fifty guests gathered at some remote and deserted fictional islet called Inis an Amplóra off the coast of the island of Ireland to celebrate the wedding between Jules (a self-made woman running an online magazine called The Download) and Will (a celebrity appearing in a TV show program called Survive the Night). Here, the narrator Hannah is looking how "it" seems to crouch there like a great black beast.

In this part, this is my small question, but I am wondering what "it" here might mean.
Would "it" mean "the island"? Or, "an overhanging cloud," perhaps...?

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear lingobingo,

Thank you very much for the clear explanation.
    So "it" means the island!
    I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear kentix,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
    Yes indeed, coming to think about what "ate" people, logically, it would be the island, not the cloud!
    I sincerely appreciate your help. :)