It/That is so sweet of you.

alsk

hindi
Hi friends. Is it right if we say this to someone that "It is so sweet of you?" Or should we say "That is so sweet of you". Does these two sentences mean the same or they are different?

• Biffo

English - England
    I would say that "That is so sweet of you" stands on its own as an expression of gratitiude and that "It is so sweet of you" forms part of a longer sentence. "That" refers to something that has just occurred whilst "It" requires further explanation.

Example:

"I know you're feeling sad, let me take you out for a meal and we can talk about it."
    "Thanks.
    That's so sweet of you"

"It's so sweet of you to look after Tommy whilst I go to the party."

In my experience (BrE) these expressions are used much more by women than by men. Men might say "That's good/nice/kind of you"

Last edited:

alsk

hindi
    Thanks a lot man!

I would say that "That is so sweet of you" stands on its own as an expression of gratitiude and that "It is so sweet of you" forms part of a longer sentence. "That" refers to something that has just occurred whilst "It" requires further explanation.

Example:

"I know you're feeling sad, let me take you out for a meal and we can talk about it."
    "Thanks.
    That's so sweet of you"

"It's so sweet of you to look after Tommy whilst I go to the party."

In my experience (BrE) these expressions are used much more by women than by men. Men might say "That's good/nice of you"

I agree with Biffo.
    'It' will make the listener anticipate something more to be said to refer back.

< Previous | Next >