(It/This/That) helps everyone not to lose focus

atakeris

Latvian
"All people should have access to the project's documents. (It/This/That) helps everyone not to lose focus"

I know when to use IT/THIS/THAT if we are talking about general situations when I show things in my hand and etc. Which one I should use in this case? When I would need to use IT, THIS and THAT when talking about abstract nouns, situations and etc.

Thanks a lot!

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Putting the three words in decreasing order of desirability, I would choose "This" first and "It" last.
    "It" seems too weak in its "gesture" of pointing to the antecedent sentence.
    Between "This" and "That", I sometimes think they put proximity and distance of attitude, respectively, between the speaker and the abstract antecedent.
    In other words, you might say
    "ABC. This is what I like about XYZ", or
    "ABC. That is what I don't like about XYZ".
    I will be curious to see what others say about choosing between "this" and "that".

fortifier

Persian
    I know when to use IT/THIS/THAT if we are talking about general situations when I show things in my hand and etc. Which one I should use in this case? When I would need to use IT, THIS and THAT when talking about abstract nouns, situations and etc.
    It is also my question. So far I have not found any detailed description on this subject in my grammar books.
    Putting the three words in decreasing order of desirability, I would choose "This" first and "It" last.
    "It" seems too weak in its "gesture" of pointing to the antecedent sentence.
    You are a native speaker and know better, but I have this impression that “It” fits here better, then “This”, and “That”, which using it here seems sort of awkward to me, comes last; it just appears like this to me; I have no reason for my understanding.
    I will be curious to see what others say about choosing between "this" and "that"..
    I am also eager to know what others think about it.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Searching for an "it-this" thread, I came across this one, which hasn't got enough posts for a learner to reach any conclusion.
    Just to revive the thread and invite more answers(;)), I choose "that".
    I hope more members come to the rescue of learners here.
    Thanks.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >