it turns out to be a crappy wind up buzzer.

< Previous | Next >

ccylinder

USA
Chinese
I was reading this comment at the bottom of an article about the Joy Buzzer, a prank toy.

"These things are a rip off. They clearly imply that you can electrocute your friends, but it turns out to be a crappy wind up buzzer".

What does ... "wind up" mean here? Thanks :)

<< Please ask about one topic in each thread. There is another thread about "rip off". >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • CCylinder, Hi.

<<...>>

In context, wind up means refers back to the quality of a product. There are some toys that you "wind up," so for example..... you pull a string and the toy makes a noise, but doesn't have any other function. We would call that a "wind-up toy." So, the writer is being sarcastic with the use of this word to suggest that the prank toy is "cheap" [not quality] and does not have a great purpose.

So, it sounds like the Joy Buzzer is not a good toy to buy, based on this persons comments in the article.

As you might know... these words.... and "WIND UP" are PHRASALS.

You can "wind" a toy UP, but you can't "wind" it down.
    You can, however, "wind" DOWN from a long day at the office [your place of employment].

PHRASALS are never ending... so if I wrote more you would be "FED UP" with all that I'm "CARRYING ON" about.

Duke T
    Mahalo :)

Last edited by a moderator:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... "wind up" is slang, it means something annoying or something that makes you feel angry.
    In this case, no.
    The "wind up buzzer" is a clockwork device. To make it operate, you have to wind it up.

I suppose this might now be considered a phrasal verb, but it wasn't always so.
    When the expression began, to "wind up" was a winding operation that raised the weight in a clock.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Not trying to wind anyone up, but I would write "a wind-up buzzer" with a hyphen. And I agree with panjandrum on the meaning here.

< Previous | Next >