It was built in the expressionist style.

< Previous | Next >

marcogaiotto

Italian
It was built in the expressionist style.

Hello! Can you help me, please?
Does the previous sentence sound correct? I think so, do you agree? Thanks a lot in advance!

• Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Expressionism:
    A style of painting, music, or drama in which the artist or writer seeks to express the inner world of emotion rather than external reality.
    expressionism | Definition of expressionism in English by Oxford Dictionaries

The idea, I think, being to 'express' your feelings/emotions/ideas/fantasies while not submitting to conventional ideas of reality.

Presumably, your question is about architecture since it says that something was 'built in the expressionist style'?

Architecture was one of the fields affected by the expressionist movement. Among other things, it means that the designs were based on, and meant to evoke the viewer's, emotions. Distortion and other techniques were used to highlight the impact. You can read more about it and see some examples here: Expressionist architecture - Wikipedia

One of the most famous expressionist paintings is The Scream by Edvard Munch.
    Expressionism - Wikipedia

marcogaiotto

Italian
    Thank you, Trochfa, for your detailed suggestion. So I suppose the phrase "in the expressionist style" can be considered as correct, can't it? Many many thanks!

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    What exactly are you describing Marcogaiotto? Presumably a building? That would fit perfectly with your sentence. The idea being that it was one designed and built using the principles of expressionism. If that is the case then your sentence seems fine to me.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    [This is to reinstate post #4 because you seemed to find it useful. Perhaps others might too.]

Expressionism:
    A style of painting, music, or drama in which the artist or writer seeks to express the inner world of emotion rather than external reality.
    expressionism | Definition of expressionism in English by Oxford Dictionaries

The idea, I think, being to 'express' your feelings/emotions/ideas/fantasies while not submitting to conventional ideas of reality.

Presumably, your question is about architecture since it says that something was 'built in the expressionist style'?

Architecture was one of the fields affected by the expressionist movement. Among other things, it means that the designs were based on, and meant to evoke the viewer's, emotions. Distortion and other techniques were used to highlight the impact. You can read more about it and see some examples here: Expressionist architecture - Wikipedia

One of the most famous expressionist paintings is The Scream by Edvard Munch.
    Expressionism - Wikipedia

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    It works perfectly well for me Marco. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Lotus Temple is one of the buildings used to illustrate architectural expressionism in the wiki article linked in post #7. :)

< Previous | Next >