It was found in Greece rather than in France.

arjun78

India-Hindi
I am trying to understand the usage of 'rather.' Must we necessarily have 'in' in both places. Would this also be okay: It was found in Greece rather than France. Without the 'in' ...

I feel it's necessary both times, but I'd like to know whether there are exceptions.

• arjun78

India-Hindi
    Hi, arjun,

Both versions are common and natural-sounding.

There is no rule about this, and even if there were, there would be exceptions, though I can't think of any.

Rover
    Thanks, Rover, the reason I asked is because I felt the 'in' would make the sentence more complete. Or, consider another example where the sentence will look a little weird without 'as' before 'instead of.'

Example: It happenedas a slow, social process rather than/instead of as a quick, political one.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thanks, Rover, the reason I asked is because I felt the 'in' would make the sentence more complete. Or, consider another example where the sentence will look a little weird without 'as' before 'instead of.'

Example: It happened as a slow, social process rather than/instead of as a quick, political one.
    Do you mean it will look weird without "as" before "instead of"? You've placed it after "instead of". In either case, I would not use the second "as". It's not incorrect, it's just awkward and redundant. I would write:

"It happened as a slow, social process rather than a quick, political one"

"It happened as a slow, social process instead of a quick, political one"

LV4-26

There are cases where you have to repeat the preposition if you want to be understood properly.

Imagine you're playing a team game. Mary is a good player.
    I'd rather have Mary with me than with John
    You can't remove the second with here, because if you do, you're bound to be misunderstood.
    I'd rather have Mary with me than John.

Besides, John won't be very happy to hear that. :)

< Previous | Next >