it was given the kind of welcome it has been getting ever since

Chinese Su

Chinese
"It was on March 23, 1999 that the musical Mamma Mia! had its first audience in London – and it was given the kind of welcome it has been getting ever since, every night, at every one of the many productions that have followed. "
Source: Mamma Mia!

Is the highlighted sentence a combination of the two?
1. Mamma Mia has been getting welcome ever since (its first audience in London).
2. Mamma Mia was given the kind of welcome.

And how would you interpret this sentence? Thank you :)

Last edited:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    It’s not entirely clear what you’re asking. What is meant is:

Ever since the first time Mamma Mia! was performed, in 1999, audiences have given the show an enthusiastic reception (welcome) at every single performance.​

Chinese Su

Chinese
    It’s not entirely clear what you’re asking. What is meant is:

Ever since the first time Mamma Mia! was performed, in 1999, audiences have given the show an enthusiastic reception (welcome) at every single performance.​
    I understand. Thank you for your lucid explanation, Lingobingo :D

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think the word "and" is a poor choice and makes it potentially confusing where it doesn't need to be.

"It was on March 23, 1999 that the musical Mamma Mia! had its first audience in London – and where it was given the kind of welcome it has been getting ever since, every night, at every one of the many productions that have followed."

Chinese Su

Chinese
    I think the word "and" is a poor choice and makes it potentially confusing where it doesn't need to be.

"It was on March 23, 1999 that the musical Mamma Mia! had its first audience in London – and where it was given the kind of welcome it has been getting ever since, every night, at every one of the many productions that have followed."
    Oh - that's very clear :idea: Thanks so much for this useful information, Kentix! :D

< Previous | Next >