it was just craic

< Previous | Next >

Magazine

Español-España.
I am watching this incredibly good series "The Dublin Murders".

Not easy to understand, that Irish accent is killing me ;)

Anyway, the boss of the two leading detectives says something improper to the lady detective. She gets angry and tells him that she won't allow him to talk to her like that.

The boss is now worried and says:

Reilly? She isn't going to complain to HR about me, cos it was just craic, everyone knows that.
I thought he had said crack, like in cracking a joke. Or shitting around.

Now I am seeing that the definition of "craic" means "an enjoyable time". :confused:

I am sure there is an Irish person around and can clear that up :)

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Wikipedia has an article about the word:
    Craic (/kræk/ KRAK) or crack is a term for news, gossip, fun, entertainment, and enjoyable conversation, particularly prominent in Ireland.[1][2][3] It is often used with the definite articlethe craic[1] – as in the expression "What's the craic?" (meaning "How are you?" or "What's happening?"). The word has an unusual history; the Scots and English crack was borrowed into Irish as craic in the mid-20th century and the Irish spelling was then reborrowed into English.[1] Under either spelling, the term has great cultural currency and significance in Ireland.

Chasint

English - England
    I'm not Irish but 'craic' is pronounced the same as 'crack'. The spelling is as it would be in Gaelic although it seems that it may not be a true Irish word.

Around the mid-20th century, the word was borrowed into the Irish language from Scotland and Northern Ireland, with the Gaelicised spelling 'craic'. For some Gaelic speakers, the claim that the word originated in that language is an annoyance.
    Craic a linguistic lie - Irish culture and customs - World Cultures European

< Previous | Next >