It was most times seven o'clock when he returned home

< Previous | Next >
  • Alex_cs_gsp

Russian & Ukrainian
    Это О'Генри так плохо написал. :) Т.е можно так, - обычно он возвращался около семи?

А что-такое hill-billy?

Last edited:

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    Well, I have to say O'Henry is one of my favorite authors in the world, :D but without the context it really looks poorly written.
    During all of the next week the Larrabees had an early breakfast. Joe was enthusiastic about some morning-effect sketches he was doing in Central Park, and Delia packed him off breakfasted, coddled, praised and kissed at 7 o'clock. Art is an engaging mistress. It was most times 7 o'clock when he returned in the evening.
    I'd translate as Чаще всего когда он возвращался домой, на часах было семь.

I don't think it is hillbilly, just connected to the previous two sentences and on its own is not very elegant.

P.S. As for hillbilly, check here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly

Last edited:

Alex_cs_gsp

Russian & Ukrainian
    А если дословно, то - большинство раз, было семь часов, когда он возвращался домой. Так получается?

William Stein

American English
    Well, I have to say O'Henry is one of my favorite authors in the world, :D but without the context it really looks poorly written.

I'd translate as Чаще всего когда он возвращался домой, на часах было семь.

I don't think it is hillbilly, just connected to the previous two sentences and on its own is not very elegant.

P.S. As for hillbilly, check here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly
    As your article says, hillbilly refers to the people in the Appalachian district, and O. Henry was born Greensboro, North Carolina in 1862. That doesn't mean he couldn't write in polished English if he wanted to. As I said, I think the narrator is supposed to be speaking colloquially, and "most times" is typical of that region (where I happened to spend some years myself).

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    If we are talking of "A service of love", the meaning is, I think "almost every single time".

There are two similar expressions: one is the well-known idiom, "Most of the time", that means "usually", or "обычно, чаще всего" in Russian.

Then there is less popular in a written literature, but more popular in colloquial speech "most of the times" or "most times".
    This means "almost every single time".

He scores most of the time, when he plays - он обычно (чаще всего) забивает, когда играет. (a few exceptions).
    He scores most times (most of the times) he plays - он забивает почти каждый раз, когда играет. (very few exceptions).

O. Henry said that "Искусство - крайне завлекательная любовница, и почти каждый раз он возвращался домой вечером в 7 часов".

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    I find it more and more obvious, after being awhile in this forum, that the famous writers of yore, of both Russian and English literature, wrote in phrases considered "badly written" by us, modern, advanced and, undoubtedly, extremely well-versed people.
    :D

William Stein

American English
    I find it more and more obvious, after being awhile in this forum, that the famous writers of yore, of both Russian and English literature, wrote in phrases considered "badly written" by us, modern, advanced and, undoubtedly, extremely well-versed people.
    :D
    There's also a big difference between US and UK English ("two peoples separated by a common language" and all that...). It always drives me crazy when the Brits say "the royal family were..." or "3 millions".

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    There's also a big difference between US and UK English ("two peoples separated by a common language" and all that...). It always drives me crazy when the Brits say "the royal family were..." or "3 millions".
    And I thought in my naive mind, it was about the "taxation without representation". Now I understand what the fight was all about :D

< Previous | Next >