It was Mrs Gaskell and George Eliot and Miss Mitford all rolled in one, with a great deal more, that

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(para. 36) by Lawrence(the University of Adelaide,here):

Connie heard long conversations going on between the two. Or rather, it was mostly Mrs Bolton talking. She had unloosed to him the stream of gossip about Tevershall village. It was more than gossip. It was Mrs Gaskell and George Eliot and Miss Mitford all rolled in one, with a great deal more, that these women left out.’

The last sentence is very difficult for me. Could you please explain it to me please?
I suspect "it was……" and "that……" construct an emphatic sentence.
But I can't figure out the meaning of " women left out
.' "
Overall, I almost know nothing about the logical meaning of the whole sentence.

Thank you in advance

• bennymix

Mrs Bolton told a lot about the village people, like certain novelists (who were given to much detail) would have told. In fact these novelists would have left out some details (presumably too small). Mrs. Bolton however told such details that these women would have left out.

There is some humor here. Mrs Bolton is portrayed as a person who can't stop with chat, gossip, rumor, etc. She exceeds in detail what some VERY detailed novelists (who write novels of hundreds of pages) would have given.

longxianchen

chinese
    Really thank you.

Now I further analyse this sentence:
    1. It was Mrs Gaskell and George Eliot(also a woman) and Miss Mitford all rolled in one = what Mrs Bolton told was like "Mrs Gaskell and George Eliot and Miss Mitford are rolled in one"
    2.with a great deal more, that these women left out.' = with a lot of details that these women(referring to Mrs Gaskell and George Eliot and Miss Mitford) left out

Am I right please?
    And what's the use of the " ' "?

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    1. It was Mrs Gaskell and George Eliot(also a woman) and Miss Mitford all rolled in one = what Mrs Bolton told was like "Mrs Gaskell and George Eliot and Miss Mitford are rolled in one"
    Mrs Bolton's speech was similar in content to the writing of these three famous female authors - who wrote a great deal about local gossip.
    2.with a great deal more, that these women left out.' = with a lot of details that these women(referring to Mrs Gaskell and George Eliot and Miss Mitford) left out
    Yes, Lawrence is saying that Mrs Bolton went even further than the writers, because she included things which the writers omitted to say.

The ' is a misprint.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you so much. Now here is the last question maybe:
    Does "all rolled in one" equal "all rolled into one whole"?

< Previous | Next >