it was necessary for her to return to her father, <as yet unable to bear more~>

< Previous | Next >

park sang joon

Korean
The narrator recalls his adolescence.
He, his great aunt Miss Trotwood and his friends came to Uriah Hip's office to meet Mr. Micawber who is the clerk for local lawyer Uriah Hip, whom he struck in the cheek because of his mean behavior.
Uriah Hip is the partner of Mr. Wickfield, who is very sick now, whose only daughter Agnes is narrator's old friend, whom Uriah Hip has an affection for.
Mr. Micawber just now exposed Uriah Heep's illegal deeds, reading a prepared letter, was estranged from his family for some reason.
Here "him" refers to Mr. Micawber.
Chapter 52 I ASSIST AT AN EXPLOSION
As we were all very grateful to him, and all desirous to show that we were, as well as the hurry and disorder of our spirits would permit, I dare say we should all have gone, but that it was necessary for Agnes to return to her father, as yet unable to bear more than the dawn of hope; and for someone else to hold Uriah in safe keeping. So, Traddles remained for the latter purpose, to be presently relieved by Mr. Dick; and Mr. Dick, my aunt, and I, went home with Mr. Micawber. As I parted hurriedly from the dear girl to whom I owed so much, and thought from what she had been saved, perhaps, that morning - her better resolution notwithstanding - I felt devoutly thankful for the miseries of my younger days which had brought me to the knowledge of Mr. Micawber.
[David Copperfield by Charles Dickens]
I'd like to know if the blue participle phrase means "because she was yet unable to bear more than the dawn of hope."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    As yet = so far, at this moment...

He father (or perhaps Agnes herself - I don't know the novel well enough to say) was not yet able to cope with more than a little amount of hope...

< Previous | Next >