it was pretty smooth, if I do say so myself

suzilou

French-France
Une homme fait sa demande en mariage et interroge l'élue de son coeur sur sa décision.Elle répond:"tu m'as fait la plus gentille et la plus tendre offre..." et il l'interrompt en disant:"And it was pretty smooth,if I do say so myself."
Je ne vois pas comment adapter smooth dans cette phrase.

• guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    smooth means (slang) cool behaviour, subtle and sexy - so he is boasting that he proposed to her is a very smooth/cool way - a bit ironic as her phrase implies that she's going to say no to his proposition!!!!!:D not so smooth after all and not as smooth as he thought he was!!!!:cool:

In French? Itisi!:thumbsup:

or in Franglais "Oui, c'était bien cool, non!" :cool:

Itisi

English UK/French
    I don't understand it as slang. In thefreedictonary.com, we have:

10. elegant, easy, or polished: a smooth manner.
    11. ingratiatingly polite; suave: a smooth talker.

guillaumedemanzac

I don't understand it as slang. In the free dictonary.com, we have:

10. elegant, easy, or polished: a smooth manner.
    11. ingratiatingly polite; suave: a smooth talker.
    :thumbsup: but context tells us that HE thinks he's doing 10.
    and SHE (and I ) think he's definitely doing 11.

A line from a pop song of the 80s ------ Smooooth operator, he's a smooooth operator .... meaning he's suave, cool, (in modern usage: "He's a player!")

(who sang that?)

guillaumedemanzac

Une homme fait sa demande en mariage et interroge l'élue de son coeur sur sa décision. Elle répond:"tu m'as fait la plus gentille et la plus tendre offre..." et il l'interrompt en disant:"And it was pretty smooth, if I do say so myself."
    Je ne vois pas comment adapter 'smooth' dans cette phrase.
    @Itisi - the context is that she starts her response saying "You have made the most kind and tender offer ........" = but NO!!!
    She is interrupted by the HOMME ( who appears from the typo to be feminine : unE homme ) before she has a chance to refuse him/her!!

Itisi

English UK/French
    guillaume, that's not context, that's interpretation! For all we know, you may be right, but it is an assumption you are making.

Last edited:

suzilou

French-France
    :thumbsup: but context tells us that HE thinks he's doing 10.
    and SHE (and I ) think he's definitely doing 11.

A line from a pop song of the 80s ------ Smooooth operator, he's a smooooth operator .... meaning he's suave, cool, (in modern usage: "He's a player!")

(who sang that?)
    Sade

Itisi

English UK/French
    Ah, in that case, well done for intuition, guillaume, because you could just as well assume that she was saying, 'how could I refuse such a sweet man'. As far as I am concerned, there was insufficient context, and it's guesswork. (Getting enough context is often like pulling teeth! - don't get me going on that subject...:()

guillaumedemanzac

It's just female intuition, which as you should know is fact 99%.
    An Assumption is a religious festival on August 15th when the virgin Mary was assumed into heaven, body and all.
    But my logical male hormones tell me Itisi is correct; if she later refuses him then that is enough context; but she was interrupted - another sign that this man is a player, a suave no-gooder who is only after one thing as both suzilou and I assume (correctly! ?).

guillaumedemanzac

Sorry, too much quote .... rule #6!!!:(

But the Sade song (thanks to suzilou) explains "smooth operator" very well : "love for sale" -- "his heart is cold" -- "double cross" - the modern American is "He's a PLAYER!" - often pronounced "PLAYA" - smarmy and smooth in 60s slang - not to be trusted.
    To me (IMHO) her interrupted phrase : "That was a charming and lovely offer to make me "(the next word has to be .... "BUT...... no!") although I agree that's an assumption - a 'lady' is often not totally honest in this situation - "No way, you smarmy creep!" would be a less hypocritical response but a 'lady' would try to let the suitor down gently!

< Previous | Next >