it was probably also the best my posture had been for a very

Yuyka

Czech
Hello there,

I have difficulty understanding the meaning of the passage in bold in the following extract:

"A padded suit in a padded chair in a padded cell. (...) Bright light and an IV drip. The drip fed into a vein in myhand. My hand was strapped to the chair at the wrist. There were straps along the length of my arm. (...) More straps across my legs, around my ankles, across my chest and even, to my annoyance, my forehead. It was designed to make death by anything other than an act of God impossible. I reflected that it was probably also the best my posture had been for a very long time and was thus innately uncomfortable.

(source: Claire North: The first fifteen lives of Harry August)

What is meant by posture? - the position of the character's body on the chair?
If so, why was it uncomfortable if it was the best for a very long time? And why innately?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Yuyka

• Yuyka

Czech
    And how about 'innately' in this context? Could you provide a synonymous word to help me understand the meaning of the word?

Thanks,
    Y.

Myridon

English - US
    I would say a great many people experience back pain from sitting in chairs that allow them to slouch. By forcing him to sit correctly, he may actually find the chair is surprisingly comfortable.

Yuyka

Czech
    Thanks, Myridon. That's an interesting idea! Anyway, my interpretation would be a little different: because it was the best / healthiest posture for him in a very long time, it was therefore uncomfortable, because, as you suggest, his body was used to unhealthy postures such as slouching etc.
    In this sense, the sentence would not be meant sarcastically, but quite literally (simply - healthy posture is uncomfortable for him).

I like this interpretation. What do you think? :)

Yuyka

Yuyka

Czech
    Within the context that it seems he is being involuntarily kept in this posture as torture or as preparation for torture.

Yes, you're right, ain'ttranslationfun?. That's exactly the case.

Thank you all for your contributions. I think I've got the right meaning now and I'm happy about it. :)

Yuyka

< Previous | Next >