it was the other hostess

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Hal's talking to the hostess at a restaurant. His attention is distracted from the talk, and when he's on the talk again he sees a different person in place of the hostess. (actually the hostess is the same, but Hal looking at her sees a different person). He:
-- Um, I was just talking to the hostess.
-- Right. That would be me.
-- No, no. It was the other hostess.
-- Sir, I'm the only hostess in the restaurant.
Shallow Hal, movie

From the purple line, we can assume that Hal thought that there were two hostesses in the restaurant. Correct? Thanks.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Due to the extreme visual change (slim and pretty before, obese after) it was obvious to Hal that he was not talking to the same person.

He was not giving an opinion on the number of hostesses. He was saying that she was NOT the person he talked to before.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Due to the extreme visual change (slim and pretty before, obese after) it was obvious to Hal that he was not talking to the same person.

He was not giving an opinion on the number of hostesses. He was saying that she was NOT the person he talked to before.
    Yes, of course, but the question was about why he said "the other hostess" and not, e.g., "another hostess".

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Yes, of course, but the question was about why he said "the other hostess" and not, e.g., "another hostess".
    He only knew of two hostesses (as he thought), the first one and the other one.

He would have said another hostess (= one of the other hostesses) if he had thought that there were more than two hostesses.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    He only knew of two hostesses (as he thought), the first one and the other one.

He would have said another hostess (= one of the other hostesses) if he had thought that there were more than two hostesses.
    Thank you. Yes, I knew that.:) I was just telling Doji that my question was about the number of hostesses, regardless of what Hal had in mind:D

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I agree with Dojibear - we cannot assume that Hal thought there were ONLY two hostesses. He would say "the" unless he KNEW that there were more than two.

Loob

English UK
    The speaker had in mind two hostesses - otherwise he wouldn't have said "the other".

I agree that that doesn't necessarily mean he thought there were only two hostesses in the establishment.

:rolleyes::(:rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >