It wasn't so much a celebration as a punctuation

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Vevelka, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Hello,

Could someone help me with this sentence, please?

It wasn't so much a celebration as a punctuation

The speaker refers to a night in the pub. I thought I got the idea but the only meaning of "punctuation" I found doesn´t seem to fit in.

Thank you very much
    Jana

2. panjandrum

panjandrum Quondam Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The context probably makes this sentence meaningful.

Where did you read/hear this?
    What else is going on at the time?

3. Thanks for the reply
    I found this sentence in an english novel "The Godmother" (the author lives in London)

Context:

The speaker gives the description of her favourite pub.
    "... Last time I'd been in was when I'd discovered my ex-boss had been sectioned by his whife. It wasn't so much a celebration as a punctuation. But tonight wasn't going to be one of those nights; it wasn'teven six, so just a quick half..."

I have to translate this text so I'm trying to getthe meaning the most precisely possible.

Thanks
    Jana

4. Katejo Senior Member

London
    English - UK
    Perhaps the night in the pub marked the end of a particular chapter in the lives of the people concerned (ie punctuation such as a full stop) but the experience had not been very positive so they were recognising the occasion but not celebrating.

Katejo

5. panjandrum

panjandrum Quondam Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Thank you Jana, and welcome to WordReference :) I forgot to add the welcome last time.
    In case it seems strange, sectioned probably means committed to a secure mental health establishment under one of the relevant sections of the Mental Health Act.

Not so much a celebration as a punctuation?

It sounds as if this event, the discovery that his ex-boss had been sectioned, marked a very significant point in the writer's life. It was not necessarily an event to be celebrated, but it certainly marked the end of something and the beginning of something new.

6. Katejo Senior Member

London
    English - UK
    Are you familiar with the term 'sectioned'? My guess in my previous email fits the situation pretty well

Katejo

7. Panjandrum and Katejo,

Thank you very much (for your replies as well as for the welcome)
    Now it makes sense, I think I was a little locked in the pub&party idea so I didn´t see the connection with sectioned.

Thank you
    Jana