it wasn't yet eight o'clock.

< Previous | Next >

flyvefisk

Norwegian
Hi!

How would i say this sentence in italian:

He didn't think about the fact that it wasn't yet eight o'clock.

Thanks.

Edit.:
Is this a good translation?
Non rifletteva sul fatto che non era ancora le otto.

Last edited:
  • SpookyT

Italian
    Ciao flyvefisk!

Let me make sure I grabbed the meaning. The idea is that the man did something (like, setting the table, starting to prepare the dinner -- or, making noises not suitable to early hours in the morning) without thinking that it was still early. Is that right?

If so, you would probably say something like:

Non pensò al fatto che non fossero nemmeno le otto (di sera/di mattina).

EDIT: Just saw your guess! It's good :) I would just suggest to use "pensare" instead of "riflettere", and you should use "erano" instead of "era" ('cause the subject is "le otto", plural). The rest is fine - fossero and erano sounds both good to me in this very sentence.

Hope this helps. Bye :)

SpookyT

Italian
    No problem, Aglaja ;)

I think the issue with pensare/riflettere is about the amount of time you dedicate to the thought; actually, it's stronger in the affirmative version, because there you need to understand whether it's something he just realized or he mulled it over for a longer time. In the negative sentence... Don't know really. Matters of sound, context and personal taste, I guess ;)

flyvefisk

Norwegian
    Okey, thanks!

But I can give you a little more context:

So theres this guy who has come to work early, let's say 7:30, when he actually starts at eight.

I'm translating from norwegian to italian, the actual sentence is a bit different from the one i wrote here. I'll just write the whole sentence, maybe you can help me with all of it? : )

"Without reflecting upon the fact that it wasn't yet eight o'clock (which meant it was at least an hour until people usually settled themselves in their offices), Paul went straight to Nanna's room, knocked the door and invited her to lunch in the canteen."

I'm sorry about the sentence being so long and complicated. :p
    This is for a translation assignment I'm doing, so I don't feel I can split the sentence to much, unless it would sound totally weird in Italian. But Italians are used to long sentences, right? :p

Last edited:

flyvefisk

Norwegian
    Here's my try:

Senza riflettere sul fatto che non erano ancora le otto (il che significava che era almeno un'ora finché la gente di solito si trovava nei propri uffici), Paolo è andato direttamente alla stanza di Nanna, ha bussato alla porta e le ha invitato a pranzo nella mensa.

Are there any grammatical errors here? I'm not sure about the prepositions.
    Please tell me if anything sound "off".
    I want it to feel like it could have been written by an Italian : )

Edit:
    One more thing:
    This is from a Norwegian novel. Should I be using passato remoto when translating it? In norwegian we only have one "past-form" like in English.

Last edited:

ElFrikiChino

Italian (Mantova)
    The part in brackets is a bit different from what you wrote, but the meaning is the same.

Senza pensare che non erano ancora le 8 (il che significava che gli uffici sarebbero stati vuoti almeno per un'altra ora), Paul si diresse dritto verso l'ufficio (?)/la stanza (?) di Nanna, bussò (alla porta), e la invitò a pranzo alla tavola calda.

The part in bold is optional.
    I don't like the repetition of uffici/ufficio, though

Senza riflettere sul fatto che non erano ancora le otto (il che significava che era sarebbe trascorsa almeno un'altra ora finchéprima che la gente di solito(it doesn't really fit, in my opinion) si trovavasse nei propri uffici), Paolo è andato/andò direttamente allaverso la stanza di Nanna, ha bussato/bussò alla porta e lea (but since it is followed by "ha", you need to put an apostrophe, so l')ha invitatoa/la invitò a pranzo nellain mensa(it could be mensa or other things, that depends).

Last edited:

aglaja

Italiano
    My attempt:

Senza pensare che non erano nemmeno le 8 (il che significava che nessuno sarebbe arrivato prima di un'altra ora), Paul andò dritto verso l'ufficio di Nanna, bussò, e la invitò a pranzare insieme alla mensa.

Here I put a little emphasis on the concept that he invited her to have lunch "together"; I don't know if it is appropriate to the context.

flyvefisk

Norwegian
    Thanks so much, you guys! : )

Could you look over what I've done so far and notify me of any errors:

Nanna torna da Stoccolma! Paolo si è messo seduto nel letto con un scatto eccetato. Si è sbrigato a fare la doccia, ha fatto la barba e si è vestito con una camicia sapendo che gliela stava bene. Ha preso il caffè ed ha divorato una fetta di pane, ma non ha letto il giornale. Un quarto d'ora dopo essere svegliato, ha chiuso la porta a chiave ed è partito. Andava talmente in fretta che può fare soltanto un uomo profondamente innamorato.
    Senza riflettere sul fatto che non erano ancora le otto (il che significava che sarebbe trascorsa almeno un'altra ora prima che la gente si trovasse nei propri uffici), Paolo è andato dritto verso la stanza di Nanna, ha bussato alla porta e l'ha invitato a pranzo in mensa.

ElFrikiChino

Italian (Mantova)
    Thanks so much, you guys! : )

Could you look over what I've done so far and notify me of any errors:

Nanna torna da Stoccolma! Paolo si è (messo) seduto nelsul letto con un scatto ecceitato. Si è sbrigato a fare la doccia, ha si è fatto la barba e si è vestito con una camicia ha indossato una camicia sapendo che gliela stava bene (did he wear a specific shirt he knew would look fine? If so, ha indossato la camicia con cui sapeva di star bene/di fare bella figura, I prefer this second option, it sounds more natural). Ha preso il caffè ed ha divorato una fetta di pane, ma non ha letto il giornale. Un quarto d'ora dopo esseresi svegliato, ha chiuso la porta a chiave ed è partito. Andava talmente in fretta che può fare con una fretta che soltanto un uomo profondamente innamorato può avere.
    Senza riflettere sul fatto che non erano ancora le otto (il che significava che sarebbe trascorsa almeno un'altra ora prima che la gente si trovasse nei propri uffici), Paolo è andato dritto verso la stanza di Nanna, ha bussato alla porta e l'ha invitat
    oa a pranzo in mensa.
    But I'd use the passato remoto tense. Also: Nanna torna is present tense. Are you sure it's not past tense in the original text? Like: Nanna was back from Stockholm. Paul sat in his bed...
    :)

Last edited:

flyvefisk

Norwegian
    Thanks, that was very helpful! : )

But he didn't sit down on the bed. He was already lying in it, and then after he woke up he "sat up in the bed with an excited jump/jerk".
    How would you say this?

The "Nanna torna"-part is supposed to be in present. I think it's for setting the mood or something. Like Paul is thinking: "YAY! Nanna is returning from Stockholm today!"

Last edited:

ElFrikiChino

Italian (Mantova)
    Probably: "Paolo, da sdraiato, si sedette sul letto".

I missed an error, right after "sul letto": sul letto con uno scatto eccitato

Last edited:

flyvefisk

Norwegian
    Thanks! This will make my text that much better!

I found out you really learn a lot by translating, and it's actually hard work and tiring :p

< Previous | Next >