It will be a great trip

Paul_81

Spanish - Argentina
Hello, this is me again struggling with expressing different tenses in Chinese.

I would like to know how to say "it will be a great trip".

Google and Microsoft are giving me a structure with 将, however, I know 将 is a formal word, so I would like something more daily conversation-like.

Besides this concrete example, I would like to know how to express "will be" in general. Is 会是 a common and correct way of expressing this?

For this example, I was wondering if 这会是很棒的旅行 would be correct.

• retrogradedwithwind

Chinese
    会和将 are the only two words that I will come up with to translate " will ". Is there a third one?

answers to your questions are Yes.

Last edited:

hupiri

Mandarin
    Me again, too.:oops:
    一、这会是一次很棒的旅行。
    二、“will” is a modal verb and it has many meanings in English. So I don't think there is A general expression of "will be" in Chinese.
    三、In general, we won't say "这会是一次很棒的旅行" in spoken Chinese. We may write it in a blog, an article, a diary or something.

Paul_81

Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you for your reply Hupiri. However, you wrote the same sentence twice.

So how would you actually say this in spoken Chinese? :)

philchinamusical

Chinese-Mandarin and Shanghai dialect
    Generally, in Chinese, we'd prefer putting "旅行/旅程" as the subject, which will be "这次旅行会很棒/很不错/很精彩的".

And again, it depends on the contexts and the role of the speakers:
    If it's a trip that you are anticipating, and you are telling the others this sentence, you can try my translation above.
    But if it's a trip of the others, and you are just wishing them a good trip, perhaps "祝你们旅途/旅行愉快!" or even more casual style as "玩得开心哦!" would be better.

Last edited:

hupiri

Mandarin
    Thank you for your reply Hupiri. However, you wrote the same sentence twice.

So how would you actually say this in spoken Chinese? :)
    Do you have a dialogue example in English? I could express it more idiomatically if you have one.

Paul_81

Spanish - Argentina
    Well, I am wondering how to say something like:

-I am going on a trip to China next week. I think it will be a great trip. (or just "it will be a great trip").

Anyway, beyond this particular example, I am wondering how to say "will be" in the most common contexts.

The two most important translators give me this 这将是一次伟大的旅行, so they both use the structure 将是.

But I don't think this is the structure that is used in actual everyday speech.

hupiri

Mandarin
    I would say "我打算/计划 下周/下个礼拜/下个星期 去中国旅行,肯定会很好玩".

And if you use "will be" for the future the translation will be "将/将是/会/会是". I think "会/会是" is more natural in daily speech.

Last edited:

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    I am wondering how to say "will be" in the most common contexts.
    It is normal that a learner of a foreign language asks for a general rule or guidance or expression that fits virtually all cases. Unfortunately, however, answers to such questions often do not exist.

English and Mandarin in many respects are different. And one of the few things that they share is the importance of context.
    I am going on a trip to China next week. I think it will be a great trip.
    下 (個) 禮拜去中國旅行應該很不錯

Here is optional; it is just to make the sentence possibly more colloquial.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >