It will take a long time to cook the meat

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Abu Talha, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    Hello,

For the sentence, "It will take a long time to cook the meat," if I want to avoid يستغرق and يأخذ can I say

سيطول طَبْخُ اللحمِ.
    سيطبخ اللحمُ زمانًا طويلاً.
    سيمضي وقت كثير في طَبْخ اللحم.

Which (if any) of these sound natural? Is there another way to express this?

Thanks.

2. Modest-boy Senior Member

Morocco
    Arabic
    سيطبخ اللحم لزمن طويل

سيتطلب وقت كثير قصد طهي اللحم

3. Crataegus Member

مرحبا

I suggest سيتطلب طبخ اللحم وقتاً طويلاً
    All sentences you mentioned doesn't seem natural, although the first sentence is grammatically correct but I think doesn't get the exact meaning

4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    In Egypt we could say يطوّل (yTawwel) but I don't think this is acceptable MSA
    اللحمة ح تطوّل

5. ayed

ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic(Saudi)
    I like what is in red.You can, colloquially of course, say :
    طبخ اللحم يطوّل

6. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    مرحبا بكم وشكرا جزيلا لكم جميعا
    Ayed, Iskenderany, is yTawwel in the colloquial equivalent to yuTawwilu in Standard Arabic, or yaTuulu? The reason I ask is because I see طَوَّلَ يُطَوِّلُ is used in classical Arabic:
    but it seems to be used with a human subject who prolongs an event, even if that event is not explicitly mentioned.
    As for طال يطول it is used here:
    That's why I was thinking of using yaTuulu and yuTawwilu generally for "to take a long time". How about if I added بنا or علينا to my sentence. Does it sound better if I say سَيَطُول بنا/علينا طَبْخُ اللحم?

I've found using time periods in Classical Arabic one of the hardest things to fully comprehend. I had trouble with it here too: Classical Arabic: I spent a hour trying to find the book. It seems that classically ظرف زمان was used much more than now so that in the past one would say أقمت عنده ثلاثَ ليال whereas now, I think, you would more likely see أقمت عنده لــثلاث ليال.

Similarly أخذ وقتًا and يستغرق وقتًا as far as I know were not needed in Classical Arabic. By the way, are these last two يستغرق and يأخذ used in colloquial? If not perhaps the colloquial language can help us see how "to take X amount of time" was used classically.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  7. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    It is the same وزن as يطوّل but means يَطول (not يُطوّل)

8. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    Thanks Iskenderany. So do you think يَطول should be acceptable for MSA, given that the verb طال can be used with prolonged time classically, and that colloquial has something equivalent.

Or do you think that يَطول would work in some cases but just not in this one?

9. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    It is probably fine to use it
    طبخ اللحم سيطول
    but for some reason people prefer to make MSA more 'clunky'
    It think it's fine

10. Schem

Schem Senior Member

Unaizah
    Najdi Arabic
    I'm surprised no one highlighted the second one, it sounds very natural to me. We use a similar structure in my dialect.

Edit: Although, just to clarify, a direct translation to Guisseemi may sound a little awkward, a more natural way to say this would be اللّحَم يَبي يَقعِد لـُه وقت على ما يَطبَخ.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012