it will/will it

DoT Fusion

Sindhi
Okay, the sentence is, "Any idea how much it will/will it cost?"

Should it be, "it will' or "will it"?

Now I know that, if the sentence had started with "how much" instead of "Any idea" we would have written, "How much will it cost?"

Does adding, "Any Idea" make any difference?

Also, could you tell me if I have made any punctuation error in this post?

• Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Ahlan, Do.

It should be "it will".

The sentence "Any idea how much it will cost?" is the result of the deletion of the words in italics: "Do you have any idea how much it will cost?".
    The interrogative portion of the sentence is "Do you have", therefore the following part should not have an interrogative structure:

GS :)

DW

Banned
    Polish
    [...]
    Does adding, "Any Idea" make any difference?
    [...]
    It does. It's like "(Do you have) any idea" and there's no inversion after that, so, "Any idea how much it costs?", not "Any idea how much does it cost?".

[...]
    Also, could you tell me if I have made any punctuation error in this post?
    Well, pretty much no big things, but if I were to proofread your post a little bit, there you go,
    [...]
    Okay, the sentence is, "Any idea how much it will/will it cost?".

Should it be, "it will' or "will it"?

Now I know that(,) if the sentence had started with "how much" instead of "Any idea", we would have written, "How much will it cost?".

Does adding(,) "Any Idea" make any difference?

Mind you, though, the periods after those quotations finished by question marks are more of a matter of one's own opinion and taste.

DoT Fusion

Sindhi
    Well, pretty much no big things, but if I were to proofread your post a little bit, there you go,

Mind you, though, the periods after those quotations finished by question marks are more of a matter of one's own opinion and taste.

Thanks

< Previous | Next >