It worked +adj

Poland91pl

Polish
Hello. If your plan was good and it worked out, would you say "it worked fantastic" or "it worked fantastically"? I can't imagine that the second option could be grammatically correct...

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't think it's a good choice of words though. I don't see "fantastically" being used on its own as an adverb qualifying a verb.

More commonly, it can modify an adjective:
    Our plan was fantastically successful.

Poland91pl

Polish
    I don't think it's a good choice of words though. I don't see "fantastically" being used on its own as an adverb qualifying a verb.

More commonly, it can modify an adjective:
    Our plan was fantastically successful.
    Anyway, "it worked" + an adverb or an adjective? :)

The Newt

English - US
    Sure
    I was just wondering "you look beautiful" look is also a verb....
    I was wondering if "work" in the case I gave acted like "look" in the sentence above
    "You look beautiful" is a special case. You're not doing the actual "looking" (beautifully or otherwise); you appear in beautiful form to others.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    "You look beautiful" is a special case. You're not doing the actual "looking" (beautifully or otherwise); you appear in beautiful form to others.
    This is like saying 'My dog smells bad' compared to 'my dog smells badly.' The first means that my dog stinks. The second means that he is hopeless at tracking escaped convicts.

< Previous | Next >