Italiae recte facere exercitiae barbarus.

< Previous | Next >

KatsuJu

Français
Hi there.

Italiae recte facere exercitiae barbarus.

I've never been a good latinist, and, well, let's face it, my latin classes predate Atlanta Olympic Summer Games, with absolutely no occasion to practice ever since...

And, to set the bar a bit higher, my favourite latinist is now in a retirement home, barely remembering the difference between vocative and nominative. :(

So... Please, is there someone here who could translate this ?

Thanks in advance !

• Starless74

Italiano
    Exercitiae o_O does not exist, at least not in classical Latin. It may be spelt incorrectly.
    I guess you have to check your source.

Edit: I guess it's: Italiae recte facere exercitae barbarus.
    In governing Italy, well-doing is a stranger.

Last edited:

Scholiast

saluete amici!
    I guess it's: Italiae recte facere exercitae barbarus.
    In governing Italy, well-doing is a stranger.
    Starless74 is quite right that exercitiae does not exist. And I too have been scratching my head about where this clearly corrupted or mangled sentence may have come from or be intended to mean. But while I salute Starless74's attempt to make sense of it, I cannot see that his proposal is right either. Sadly, that does not mean I have at present anything better to suggest. So I strongly support his request that KatSuju go back to the source, and would remind him of this (from WR Moderators Rules of June 2006): 'WordReference forum rules require that all questions must be accompanied by reasonable explanation of context and background'.

Σ

< Previous | Next >