Italian Primitive

< Previous | Next >

*cat*

Slovene
Hello!

I need help (again).
What's Italian Primitive? Is it some period in time or some well known painting?
Here's the context?
"She used to buy pictures at sales. It was a great interest to her, poor dear. She went to all the sales round about. Pictures go so cheap, nowadays, a mere song. She never paid more than a pound for any of them, sometimes only a few shillings, and there was a wonderful chance, she always said, of picking up something worth while. She used to say that this was an Italian Primitive that might be worth a lot of money."

I hope you can help me.

• ewie

English English
    Yes, it's a style of painting, like a French Impressionist or a Mexican Surrealist. I've never heard of Italian Primitives ~ maybe that's the joke, that she buys any old painting in the hope that one day it'll be worth something.

*cat*

Slovene
    Maybe further context would help...

"He looked at the Italian Primitive pointed out to him dubiously. He reflected that she had never really known anything about pictures. He’d eat his hat if any of these daubs were worth a five pound note!"

ewie

English English
    It may well be that 'Italian Primitive' is a name she's invented to justify her outlay. Maybe she knows the painting comes from Italy; maybe it shows a scene of Florence; maybe it's in a primitive (naive, dauby) style; she puts one and one together and gets three.

< Previous | Next >