Italians can speak English very fluently, and many of them can also speak Spanish

< Previous | Next >

rydell

Spanish
Hello,

I don´t know how to translate "many of them", for instance; if I want to say, "Italians can speak English very fluently, and many of them can also speak Spanish..." I think the first part would be 意大利人说得英语很流利, and the second?

Thank you very much.

• zhg

Chinese
    ,很多还会说西班牙语 would suffice, I think. And usually we say 什么事情干"得" 怎么样 not the other way around, so you need to change the word order in the first half sentence. Or you can just leave out 得.

Happy New Year, Feliz año nuevo!

Last edited:

SuperXW

zhg is right. The correct structure is "something+verb+得+adverb". So for the first half, it should be:
    意大利人的英语能说得很流利 or simply:
    意大利人能说流利的英语 ("Italians can speak fluent English.")

For "many of them", a "complete" translation would be "他们中的许多人 (many people among them)", but that would be quite redundant in most cases.
    The common way is just using 很多 "many" or 很多人 "many people" in the second clause.
    意大利人能说流利的英语,很多人也能说西班牙语。

fyl

Mandarin Chinese
    For the first part, the simplest way to correct is to swap 说得 and 英语:
    意大利人英语说得很流利,很多人还会说西班牙语。

rydell

Spanish
    ,很多还会说西班牙语 would suffice, I think. And usually we say 什么事情干"得" 怎么样 not the other way around, so you need to change the word order in the first half sentence. Or you can just leave out 得.
    Thanks for the correction in the first part, it was a silly mistake of a learner.
    zhg is right. The correct structure is "something+verb+得+adverb". So for the first half, it should be:
    意大利人的英语能说得很流利 or simply:
    意大利人能说流利的英语 ("Italians can speak fluent English.")
    Thank you very much for the correction in the first part, it was a silly mistake, I couldn't avoid to think in my mother tongue.
    For the first part, the simplest way to correct is to swap 说得 and 英语:
    意大利人英语说得很流利,很多人还会说西班牙语。
    Thank you for the correction of the first part, I couldn't avoid to think in Spanish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngfun

Wu Chinese & Italian
    At first I interpreted your sentence as 意大利人说的英语很流利 which means "the English spoken by Italians is fluent". Without a particular context, it's a highly unnatural way of saying it, both in English and in Chinese!

In colloquial speech I also repeat the verb twice in these cases: 意大利人说英语说得很流利.
    But I advise you to use SuperXW and fyl's versions.

But instead of SuperXW's "他们中的许多人" I would say "其中很多人", but it's optional.

And by the way.......... I don't agree that Italians speak fluent English.
    :D

< Previous | Next >