Italy is a bit far to come on a lark when you make a teacher's salary

malager

Italian
I understand the general meaning. He is an american teacher who finds to come to Italy too expensive for his salary, but what's the meaning of the words "to come on a lark" ?

Thanks
Bye

• ikester

US - American English
    malager said:
    I understand the general meaning. He is an american teacher who finds to come to Italy too expensive for his salary, but what's the meaning of the words "to come on a lark" ?

Thanks
    Bye
    "On a lark" is an expression meaning "just for fun" or "without a good reason." It's much more common in British English than in American.

ciao! ;)

lsp

NY
    US, English
    as a lark...così, come avventura frivola, senza un motivo o scopo serio. Un viaggio non ben programmato...

Tongue-tied

UK - English
    Hi.

It simply means to do something with no serious purpose, just for fun.

Looking the phrase up, I learn that it comes from the Middle English word “Laik” meaning to play. By the 18th Century the word “lark” was established in English meaning “amusing adventure or escapade”. If that’s more than you wanted to know, apologies.

DDT

Italy - Italian
    malager said:

Thanks
    Bye
    I'd suggest "L'Italia non è questo granché/questo spasso/questa meraviglia (choose the expression you like more) se guadagni uno stipendio da insegnante"...which is a tragic truth in our country :(

DDT

< Previous | Next >