Italy's separate waste collection trend

ilabloom

italiano
Is it correct to say "Italy's separate waste collection trend"? Or would you rather say "Italy's separate collection trend"? Or neither of these two?

(This sentence will be the title of a graphic)

Thank you for your help!

• e2efour

UK English
    Either of your alternatives will do, although I personally don't like the piling up of three nouns (waste collection trend).
    I would prefer Trend for separate waste collection in Italy (or leave out waste).

If you don't want trend, you could use growth of instead.

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Don't label the graph with the word trend, for two reasons:

1. It's not a trend. It's data points. A trend line, which the example graph (at the link in post 4) does not have, is a separate concept. This is a line chart with a trend line. A Web search will give you more examples.

2. If there is a trend in the data, you don't have to say it. It will be obvious. Don't waste words stating the obvious.

I would say either "Growth of separate waste collection in Italy," as already suggested, or simply "Separate waste collection in Italy." Just tell people what you have graphed. If there is growth, that will be obvious too.

jarabina

English - Scotland
    Is it correct to say "Italy's separate waste collection trend"? Or would you rather say "Italy's separate collection trend"? Or neither of these two?
    Like others before me, I'd go for 'Separate waste collection in Italy'. It depends a bit on the context and what the graph is for, but I would probably keep 'waste'. It's EU jargon and is used pretty consistently in talking about it in an EU context. Plus graph headings should be as concise as possible but contain all the key words.

Linkway

British English
    Instead of "separate waste collection", I would consider using "separated waste collection" or "collection of separated waste".

This emphasises that it is about the collection of separated waste, ie the various types of waste are kept separate.

"Separate waste collection" could be seen as emphasising that the collection was separate in some unspecified way.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Here, it's called recycling, and it's done by means of source separation (referred to by the officials as "source sep"), meaning the separation (of paper from plastic, glass, and metal) is done at the source, the place where the things are discarded. That means us.

Linkway's suggestion sounds workable to me.

< Previous | Next >