It's $5 for children ages 6–12

fdk47

Tagalog
Does this sound smooth, or strange to you as a native speaker? (A conversation at the tour desk.)

"The child fare is $35 for children ages 6–12 but free for children 6 and under."

I think "child fare" is for transportation, but not sure if it is the best choice for a city tour on a bus.
Also, I don't know if "ages" in the plural should be singular, because "fare" is in the singular, but we are talking about multiple children... It is confusing to me.

It any part of the sentence sound strange, please let me know how you would say it.

Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    It's $35 for children aged 6–12, and free for children 5 and under.
    The fare is $35 for children aged 6–12, and free for children 5 and under.

fdk47

Tagalog
    Thank you, Copyright. I appreciate the correction on 6 to 5 too!

Would the word "child fare" sound strange for a city tour? What would you call the "child fare" for a city tour for tourists? I searched web pages for tour companies and only found "price" where they write the price for adults and children.

Thank you.

Copyright

American English
    Adult fare and child fare sound fine ... but it's the sort of thing you're more likely to see written on a price list rather than spoken.

How much is the City Bus Tour?
    It's $70 for adults, $35 for children aged 6–12, and free for children 5 and under.

< Previous | Next >