It's 8:10 a.m. now.

Creature from the Sun

Russian
Dear Gurus,
Let's say, it's 8:10 a.m. now. How do you sat that? Are all following variants possible?
A. [It's eight ten ei em].
B. [It's eight ten in the morning].
C. [It's ten minutes past eight in the morning].
D. [It's ten minutes after eight].
Thank you!

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Yes, all are possible, but we'd tend to omit "minutes" from C and D.
    I think "after" is used in AE, BE prefers "past".

Creature from the Sun

Russian
    Yes, all are possible, but we'd tend to omit "minutes" from C and D.
    I think "after" is used in AE, BE prefers "past".
    Got it! Thank you very much, Edinburgher! So, C and D sound better as C. '[It's ten past eight in the morning].' and D. '[It's ten after eight]. ' but we can add 'minutes' as well, right?

Creature from the Sun

Russian
    With times other than the five-minute times I mentioned, we normally use the word 'minutes'.
    Thank you, tunaafi! In such a case, how can we say '8:12'? I believe, 'It's twelve minutes past eight.' is OK, right? But is it good enough to say 'It's eight twelve.' without minutes? Or we should say 'It's eight hours and twelve minutes.'?

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    In such a case, how can we say '8:12'?
    It depends on the situation. In a normal, casual situation we wouldn't generally say it at all. (I'm speaking from my AE background.)

What time is it?
    It's about ten after/past eight.

[I seem to use "past" and "after" mostly interchangeably.]

If they want an exact time I might say twelve minutes after eight. Or eight twelve.

If we are waiting for a specific time and they keep asking for frequent updates I would keep it very short.

What time is it now?

It's eight twelve.

How about now?

Eight seventeen.

How about now?

Eight twenty-two.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    In real life, we also don't say a.m. unless it's needed. If you are in a windowless room, it might be needed information. Otherwise, most people are aware whether it's morning or night.

Where am and pm are used are mostly in reference to things not happening now.

When was the baby born?

8:12 am yesterday.

Creature from the Sun

Russian
    In real life, we also don't say a.m. unless it's needed. If you are in a windowless room, it might be needed information. Otherwise, most people are aware whether it's morning or night.

Where am and pm are used are mostly in reference to things not happening now.

When was the baby born?

8:12 am yesterday.
    Thank you so much, kentix, for your detailed explanation! So, '8:48' we can say (if we neeed the exact time) 'Eight forty eight.' and 'Twelve minutes to nine.', right?

kentix

English - U.S.
    In the U.S. we don't say nineteen thirty. Other English-speaking countries have different customs.

< Previous | Next >