It's a 1 dollar pop for a small cup of joe

Annakrutitskaya

Russian
Hello!

To be honest, I can't recall where I found this phrase - it is in my list of words and phrases to understand/learn, but it is a quote from somewhere.

I don't understand the meaning of the "pop" here. What does it mean here? Most likely, it's AE.

Thank you very much!

• lordignus

British English
    You've got the article in the wrong place.

It's a one dollar pop for... :cross:
    It's one dollar a pop for... :tick:

A 'pop' here basically means 'each' or 'each time'. It's also used in BE, and it always relates to a price - it doesn't work in any other context.

So:
    It's one dollar a pop for a small cup of joe = It costs one dollar for a small cup of coffee.

Annakrutitskaya

Russian
    You've got the article in the wrong place.

It's a one dollar pop for... :cross:
    It's one dollar a pop for... :tick:

A 'pop' here basically means 'each' or 'each time'. It's also used in BE, and it always relates to a price - it doesn't work in any other context.

So:
    It's one dollar a pop for a small cup of joe = It costs one dollar for a small cup of coffee.
    Thank you very much. It's very interesting. :)

kentix

English - U.S.
    -- It's a 1 dollar pop for a small cup of joe.

Someone could actually say it like that but it would not be the standard way.

It would be like saying:
    -- It's a one dollar charge for a small cup of coffee.
    -- Your wallet will take a one dollar hit (have one less dollar in it) if you buy a small cup of coffee.

I can imagine a character in a book might say something like that. But that wouldn't happen in normal conversation.

kentix

English - U.S.
    You can have a character say anything you want. :)

From the OP:
    but it is a quote from somewhere.

Last edited:

Annakrutitskaya

Russian
    -- It's a 1 dollar pop for a small cup of joe.

Someone could actually say it like that but it would not be the standard way.

It would be like saying:
    -- It's a one dollar charge for a small cup of coffee.
    -- Your wallet will take a one dollar hit (have one less dollar in it) if you buy a small cup of coffee.

I can imagine a character in a book might say something like that. But that wouldn't happen in normal conversation.
    Thank you very much. It's interesting. Sad that I can't recall where I found this phrase.

< Previous | Next >