it's a bit of a learning curve

minhduc

vietnamese
Hello
This is an extract from Wedding Season by Katie FForde. Two people are talking about their jobs. One person is a freelance hairdresser and she is telling about her work.

"The book work is a bit of a nightmare though, I must say.'

‘Is it?'

‘Well… not really, I suppose, but Roger always dealt with the finances so it's a bit of a learning curve for me doing it.'

Would you like to explain the meaning of "it's a bit of a learning curve" to me? Thanks.

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    It's a learning process. Think of a graph with the "amount learned" on the vertical axis, and "time" on the horizontal axis. The longer you do something, the more you learn (hopefully :D), so if you plot that process on a graph, you might get a curve - a learning curve, depending on how fast you learn, of course!

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    "A bit of" doesn't mean anything. It's just a modifier, "a sort of", "something of", "so to speak". It's a bit of an unnecessary word, really, just "a filler" in conversational speech. You wouldn't write it in any sort of formal text. It adds nothing. You could leave it out and it wouldn't affect the meaning in any way.

< Previous | Next >