it's a privilege just to be nominated

< Previous | Next >

Puellam audiam

Taiwanese, Mandarin
Hi, everyone!
:)

"Of the various lies that actors tell--there are no small parts, it's a privilege just to be nominated, working with Woddy is a dream come true
--there's noe that Samuel L. Jackson simply cannot abide. Everybody thinks it's cool to say 'I hate watching myself onscreen,' says Jackson. 'Well, that's b___."

The underlined is where I need some help.
I don't quite understand this added information.(Too much at the same time).
What does it really mean to express?(What is it "to be nominated"? Lies?) Why is it there?
Its implications, and author's tone.

Thanks!!!

• cycloneviv

English - Australia
    The writer is listing various common "lies" that actors tell to journalists:

"There are no small parts" (in other words, even though my character only had two words in the whole movie, he/she is an important character.)

"It's a privilege just to be nominated." (This refers to being nominated for awards, for example the Oscars, and the actor is saying that it's good enough just to be nominated - to be on the short-list of actors who may win the award - they don't really care whether they win or not.)

"Working with Woody is a dream come true." (This might refer to the fact that Woody Allen is notoriously difficult to work with.)

I hope that helps. I'm not sure I understand your question regarding the implications and author's tone, so I'm afraid I haven't dealt with that.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi, everyone!
    :)

"Of the various lies that actors tell--there are no small parts, it's a privilege just to be nominated, working with Woddy is a dream come true
    --there's noe that Samuel L. Jackson simply cannot abide. Everybody thinks it's cool to say 'I hate watching myself onscreen,' says Jackson. 'Well, that's b___."

The underlined is where I need some help.
    I don't quite understand this added information.(Too much at the same time).
    What does it really mean to express?(What is it "to be nominated"? Lies?) Why is it there?
    Its implications, and author's tone.

Thanks!!!
    The others have explained this very well, Puellam. The idea is that each of these statements is nonsense.
    Actors hate having small parts, want to win an award - being nominated doesn't assuage the disappointment, and Woody is probably a nightmare to work with.

Puellam audiam

Taiwanese, Mandarin
    The writer is listing various common "lies" that actors tell to journalists:

"There are no small parts" (in other words, even though my character only had two words in the whole movie, he/she is an important character.)

"It's a privilege just to be nominated." (This refers to being nominated for awards, for example the Oscars, and the actor is saying that it's good enough just to be nominated - to be on the short-list of actors who may win the award - they don't really care whether they win or not.)

"Working with Woody is a dream come true." (This might refer to the fact that Woody Allen is notoriously difficult to work with.)

I hope that helps. I'm not sure I understand your question regarding the implications and author's tone, so I'm afraid I haven't dealt with that.
    So, 'parts' here actully means "characters" (in a movie)?
    I thought "there are no small parts" would mean "there are a lot of lies":p

Yes, you did answer my question on "implications." You pointed out that Woody Allen may be notoriously difficult to work with. That's what I call 'implications.

Thanks a lot!:thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >