It's a well-known fact

Mattterhorn

Spanish
Hello,
I have a question regarding the grammar of this construction, you are supposed to say "It's a well-known fact that + sentence".
Some students don't put THAT and they extrapose the subject. It sounds wrong, or at least ugly to me, and I wanted to double check if it's wrong:
Example: (a) It is a well-known fact the difference in sports between men and women.
I think it is wrong and that you should say any of these:
(b) The difference in sports between men and women is a well-known fact.
(c) It's a well-known fact that there is a huge difference in sports between men and women.
(d) It's a well-known fact that men and women are different when it comes to playing sports.

Thank you

• Mattterhorn

Spanish
    I think the reason is that the writer is not placing a full sentence at the end but just a noun phrase.
    You use THAT to introduce a that-clause and you can chose not to write THAT it if it doesn't perform any function.
    Here the real subject of the sentence is "the difference in sports between men and women". The normal position for a subject in English is at the beginning of the sentence but the writer has placed a dummy IT instead. This might be possible in spoken English, I don't know.
    So, the question is not about omitting the THAT, here it's not possible to write a THAT, but about word order.

Last edited:

Mattterhorn

Spanish
    OK, I have a similar question with another construction, so I've created a new threat.
    Thanks a lot, you've been very helpful!

< Previous | Next >