its destination is Germany

< Previous | Next >

Doggie doggie

chinese
Dear all, I am trying to use different structures to rephrase the following sentence, would you please tell me which rephrased is uncorrect grammatically and idiomatically.

Airport commissioner Khalid Bahhur confirmed Demjanjuk was on the plane and that its destination is Germany.
1 Airport commissioner Khalid Bahhur confirmed Demjanjuk was on the plane whose destination is Germany.
2 Airport commissioner Khalid Bahhur confirmed Demjanjuk was on the plane , which destination is Germany.
3 Demjanjuk, whose destinaion is Germany, was comfirmed to be on the plane by Airpot commissioner Khalid Bahhur.
4 Demjanjuk whose destinaion is Germany was comfirmed to be on the plane by Airpot commissioner Khalid Bahhur.

Thanks.:)

• sp4rk13

UK
    English - USA & UK
    1 Airport commissioner Khalid Bahhur confirmed Demjanjuk was on the plane whose destination was Germany.
    2 Airport commissioner Khalid Bahhur confirmed Demjanjuk was on the plane, the destination of which was Germany.
    3/4 Demjanjuk was comfirmed to be on the plane whose destination was Germany, by Airport commissioner Khalid Bahhur.

1 sounds the most natural. 2 sounds a little bit awkward. 3 & 4 said that Demjanjuk's destination was Germany, while in fact, the original sentence says that the plane's destination was Germany. I have changed them so now they refer to the plane's destination. Your version of 4 did not have any commas. This made it sound a little bit strange.

I hope this helps :)

sp4rk13

UK
    English - USA & UK
    Yes, I saw that. I changed to "was" because "Khalid Bahhur confirmed Demjanjuk was on the plane".

If the plane is still in flight (and Demjanjuk is still in the plane), then:
    "Airport commissioner Khalid Bahhur confirmed Demjanjuk is on the plane and that its destination is Germany."

However if you are talking about the past, then you'd probably say:
    "Airport commissioner Khalid Bahhur confirmed Demjanjuk was on the plane and that its destination was Germany."

If the plane is still in flight, but Demjanjuk may or may not still be in the plane, then you might say:
    "Airport commissioner Khalid Bahhur confirmed Demjanjuk was on the plane and that its destination is Germany."

:)

Derselbe

Deutsch, German, ドイツ語
    If the plane is still in flight, but Demjanjuk may or may not still be in the plane, then you might say:
    "Airport commissioner Khalid Bahhur confirmed Demjanjuk was on the plane and that its destination is Germany."
    So that means he jumped out of the plane sometime in between?

< Previous | Next >