It's flowers vs They are flowers

< Previous | Next >

Themyth

Russian
Is it possible to say ' It's flowers ' or ' It's four cats indoor ' My teacher said that I could use a word they.
For example, They are cats or They are flowers, but flowers and cats are lifeless. And I've seen the third option ' These are cats '
I know it's a simple thing. But I'm so puzzled. Help meee

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us a little information, so we can understand what you're trying to say.

Do you mean, for example, if someone asks "What's that on the table?" your teacher says you should say "They are flowers" rather than "It's flowers?"

(By the way, unless you're talking about dead cats or dead flowers, they're not lifeless.)

Themyth

Russian
    Please give us a little information, so we can understand what you're trying to say.

Do you mean, for example, if someone asks "What's that on the table?" your teacher says you should say "They are flowers" rather than "It's flowers?"

(By the way, unless you're talking about dead cats or dead flowers, they're not lifeless.)
    Well, I'm trying to answer a question. Who is it? ' It's cats. Or when I tell something from my life. For instance, I've been to field and I've seen flowers. It was beautiful flowers. Must i say They was

Myridon

English - US
    "They" is the plural of "it" for all things - living, non-living, real, unreal, ...
    It (the field) was full of beautiful flowers.
    They (the flowers) were beautiful.

Themyth

Russian
    "They" is the plural of "it" for all things - living, non-living, real, unreal, ...
    It (the field) was full of beautiful flowers.
    They (the flowers) were beautiful.
    Thank you. This problem appeared when I took a break from studies. All in all, I mustn't say they are cats, because they replace cats. I must say These are cats

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    There's nothing inherently wrong with "They are cats."

A: Frederica and Prescott have been very naughty today.
    B: Oh, I didn't realize you had children.
    A: They're not children; they're cats.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Do you know about the phrasal verb "There is"? We use this in English to say that something exists. It is always the word "there" followed by some form of "to be" (past, present, future, singular, plural, etc.)

"There were many flowers in the field." is how we say that many flowers existed in the field. We don't say "it is" or "they are" or "flowers are".

Is it possible to say ' It's flowers ' or ' It's four cats indoor ' My teacher said that I could use a word they.
    For example, They are cats or They are flowers,
    The teacher said "they" but "they" is incorrect. It should be "there":

There are cats.
    There are flowers.
    There are four cats indoors.

But to say "A = B" you use "is", without "there":

What are those animals?
    They are cats.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    There's nothing wrong with "it's flowers" or "it's cats" either, in a particular context.

Pointing at something you think is shapeless and don't know what that is:
    — What is that?
    — It's flowers.

— What is it in the picture?
    — It's cats.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    There's nothing wrong with "it's flowers" or "it's cats" either, in a particular context.

— What is that?
    — It's flowers.

— It's cats.
    I would never say "It's cats" or "It's flowers" in AE.

I might use "it's" in these sentences:
    -- It's a group of flowers.
    -- It's some crushed flowers.
    -- It's a pile of wilted flowers.
    -- It's a picture of cats.
    -- It's a family of cats.
    -- It's a bunch of cats.
    -- It's a group of cats.

Themyth

Russian
    Do you know about the phrasal verb "There is"? We use this in English to say that something exists. It is always the word "there" followed by some form of "to be" (past, present, future, singular, plural, etc.)

"There were many flowers in the field." is how we say that many flowers existed in the field. We don't say "it is" or "they are" or "flowers are".

The teacher said "they" but "they" is incorrect. It should be "there":

There are cats.
    There are flowers.
    There are four cats indoors.

But to say "A = B" you use "is", without "there":

What are those animals?
    They are cats.
    The question was "Who is it"
    They're cats or It's cats or These are cats

heypresto

English - England
    In what context are you asking 'Who is it?'

I can't think of a context in which 'Who is it?' could be answered by 'They're cats' or 'It's cats' or 'These are cats.'

Forero

— What is that?
    — It's flowers.

— It's cats.
    The second question is a little strange without context to explain the use of "it", but the answers are fine:

— What's in the picture?
    — (It's) cats.

— What's that in the picture?
    — It's cats.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you for the replies.
    I meant that if the speaker doesn't know that those are several objects. Maybe he can't make out the picture, so he refers to that as "it/that". And the second speaker when replying, echoing the 1st speaker question refers to it by "it/that" too: "It's cats." I don't think it'd be more idiomatic if he replied to "What is it?" by "These ar cats.", would it?

Forero

Thank you for the replies.
    I meant that if the speaker doesn't know that those are several objects. Maybe he can't make out the picture, so he refers to that as "it/that". And the second speaker when replying, echoing the 1st speaker question refers to it by "it/that" too: "It's cats." I don't think it'd be more idiomatic if he replied to "What is it?" by "These ar cats.", would it?
    No.

< Previous | Next >