Its fragrance reaches very far.

Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
Its smell/fragrance reaches very far.

Does it give that meaning that the smell is so strong that it can go a very long way?

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    It would be most useful to know what we are talking about here. Is it an expensive French perfume or a rubbish tip? "Reaches very far" doesn't sound at all natural to me, whatever the topic.

It would also help to know where this sentence is being used: a formal document or an informal conversation.

Hermione

Copyright

American English
    It depends on the context, which you may be able to use in your description:

Its fragrance filled the room/house/hanger.
    Its fragrance carried from the meadow to the house.

Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
    Is the following sentence correct?
    'Its fragrance is carried far off.' (My question is: Is the verb (carry) both transitive and intransitive too?

Last edited:

earthmerlin

English-US
    It's also possible to say, "Its scent/fragrance is very strong" or "It has a very strong fragrance" if you don't need to describe how far the smell carries itself. In conversation you can also add, "I can smell it from here".

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    Yes. The term preferred by fragrance aficionados is 'sillage'.
    Maybe so, but I've never heard of it and it looks a lot like "silage," which might be "fragrant" but not in way you would like. I would not suggest that anyone use this term ("sillage") outside the very limited world of "fragrance aficionados."

I don't think "the fragrance carries very far" is very idiomatic. Some specific terms have been suggested for specific situations and I'm not sure that there is a general term. One could say that something "can be smelled a long way off" or that something has a smell (neutral at best, often negative) or fragrance (positive) "that can be detected at a distance" or "detected a long way off."

< Previous | Next >