it's going down, I'm yelling timber

fernandoelquímico

Español-Colombia
Hi guys, I'd like to ask about this sentence that you can find in the song of Pitbull and Kesha, "it's going down, I'm yelling timber".

[...]

I want to know what is the exact meaning of it, and specially WHEN DO YOU USE IT?, I mean, is it like when they are very happy to start to dance or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Masood

British English
    "Timber!" (¡Árbol va!) is what is said (in popular culture, at least) when a lumberjack fells a tree.

Se está cayendo, grito "¡Árbol va!"

I don't know what it means in the context of the song, though.

fenixpollo

American English
    "It's going down" in this context probably means "something important is happening".

The phrase probably means that the singer is notifying everyone that the party has started.

elchinitovaliente

Standard Edited American English
    For me, the phrase "It's going down!" means that whatever we had previously planned is expected to happen, or is currently happening/going on.

Example:

A - Dude, we're going to ******'s house to party!
    B - Alright, man! It's going down!

Alas, I am not a big fan of Pitbull so I don't know which song you are talking about, so I can't really determine the exact context of the phrase you have provided us. However, I'm pretty sure it coincides with the definitions that we have given you.

margerfla

Argentina Spanish
    For me, the phrase "It's going down!" means that whatever we had previously planned is expected to happen, or is currently happening/going on.

Example:

A - Dude, we're going to ******'s house to party!
    B - Alright, man! It's going down!

Alas, I am not a big fan of Pitbull so I don't know which song you are talking about, so I can't really determine the exact context of the phrase you have provided us. However, I'm pretty sure it coincides with the definitions that we have given you.[/QUOT

fenixpollo

American English
    I disagree with the urbandictionary definitions "it's going down" as a sexual reference. They're probably confused with the phrase "to go down on", which means "to give oral sex". But they are not the same phrase: "it's going down" has a specific subject (it) and lacks the final particle (on). Urbandictionary is not a reliable source in this case.

gengo

American English
    I agree with fenixpollo. "It's going down" here is not sexual. Obviously, "timber" was selected to rhyme with "remember," and since timber refers to the felling of a tree, "it's going down" has a sort of double meaning here: a literal one (the tree is falling) and the more usual slang one (it's going to happen). It's just word play, typical of lyrics.