It's going to make her miss her former friends even more

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by MissLonelyHearts, Aug 12, 2015.

1. MissLonelyHearts Senior Member

Málaga
    English
    I am trying to tell a friend that if they write to another friend who no longer lives in the same country, then it will make her miss her former friends even more.

My attempt at saying 'It's going to make her miss her former friends even more'
    La farà mancare i suoi ex amici ancora di più

Thanks!

2. Fooler

Fooler Senior Member

Padova
    Italian (Italy)
    Le mancheranno i suoi ex amici ancora di più

or better, according to my ears

i suoi ex amici le mancheranno ancor di più

3. MissLonelyHearts Senior Member

Málaga
    English
    Thanks Fooler. I find 'mancare' a tricky verb to handle!

4. Pietruzzo Senior Member

Salento (Italy)
    Italian
    Also: "Questo le farà sentire ancora di più la mancanza dei vecchi amici" which translates literally the OP sentence. To me "ex amici" sounds like they aren't friends anymore but, in fact, they are only far away.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  5. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Sorry, MissLH, I can't clearly understand your sentence, probably because of my poor English. Why they, if you are talking about a friend? And why writing to another friend who no longer lives in the same country her miss her former friends? And why former friends? As Pietruzzo said, it seems they aren't friends anymore... :confused:

6. Pietruzzo Senior Member

Salento (Italy)
    Italian
    What I read in the OP's question is that she wants to advice someone(I guess "they" is in place of he/she) that writing to a friend who now lives far away would let her miss her "former" friends. In nuts, it'd be better for her to forget.

7. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Okay. Then why after that Miss says "her"? o_O

8. Pietruzzo Senior Member

Salento (Italy)
    Italian
    "They(he/she)" is the one who's going to write the letter, "she" is the faraway friend , as far as I can tell. It's something like"È meglio che non le scrivi, perchè questo le farà sentire ancor di piú..."

9. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Allora confermo: non avevo capito!
    Insomma, Miss starebbe scrivendo una lettera a un amico/amica in cui dice che se lui/lei scrive a una sua amica che abita in un altro paese da molto tempo le farà sentire ancora di più la mancanza di quelli che una volta erano suoi amici.
    È così? Se sì, non è che sia molto più chiaro...

10. Pietruzzo Senior Member

Salento (Italy)
    Italian
    That's what I understand. Anyway, let's wait for clarification.

11. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Sì, scusa, troppe lettere... :D

12. sorry66

sorry66 Senior Member

France
    English, England
    Pietruzzo is right!
    We usually use 'they' to hide the sex of the person (rather than say he/she), but it's a bit pointless here as MissLH then says 'her'. So we know it's a 'she'!
    'Former friends' could mean an ex-friends, but here it means friends who you haven't see for a long time. It would have been better to say 'old friends' to make it clearer. So right again, Pietruzzo!
    So both the translations offered work, except it would be better to replace 'ex amici' with 'vecchi amici' in Fooler's translation..

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015