It's good to hear from you.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

From my perspective, the expression "It's good to hear from you" is usually used when one receives another,usually a friend's email or letter. I wonder if I can use this expression to someone who I have never talked to (Here I mean online). I left a "voice message" (This message is an audio one, namely I say something rather than I write something down) online and someone replied me. The message is about friend-making, about I want to make friends with them. It's a group about spoken English and people in the group using spoken English to make friends. I think perhaps the better version is "It's good to hear that you....." rather than my original one.

Put simply, Can I use "It's good to hear from you" to a stranger, if I write something on the newspaper and someone who I don't know write something to me.

Thanks a lot

• Greyfriar

Hello,

If you have made the first contact, then the recipient is no longer a 'stranger' as such.

Having said that, when I receive private messages on this forum for the first time, I always start my reply with 'It's good to hear from you' or 'nice to hear from you' or perhaps 'thank you for your message'.

Members of this forum don't seem like strangers somehow.:)

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Thanks a lot.

So do you mean that is it okay to use "It's good to hear from you" when a stranger sends me a message?

Is that also workable in AE? If so, I'll put it down.

George French

English - UK
    Thanks a lot.

So do you mean that is it okay to use "It's good to hear from you" when a stranger sends me a message?

Is that also workable in AE? If so, I'll put it down.
    I wouldn't:- a "thanks for the message/info" is sufficient and polite:- and not much else.... Don't jump in feet first with a stranger.....

GF..

Unless you always do that.... and you accept whatever .......

< Previous | Next >