It's great to hear from you!

22caps

How would one translate this phrase? It's great to hear from you!....

All I can think of is "Sono molto contento di averti sentito." But I'm sure that's not the best way. I'm not even positive that makes good sense.

• Alxmrphi

UK English
    Can I ask why exactly the 'di' doesn't work?
    If I were to write it I probably wouldn't include it, but with expressions like "Piacere di conoscerti!" where 'di' follows piacere are coming to mind and I can't find a method of explanation.

Let's say I was explaining this to someone (;)) I just wouldn't have a clue how to explain the rule

It's great to hear from you - Sono molto contento di sentirti.
    It's great to hear from you - Mi fa piacere sentirti.

(Please can nobody include other translations of the English, this is not what I'm asking for and I think would only further confuse the question regarding why 'di' doesn't work with piacere but does in the sentence.)

So, what is a good, and hopefully simple way of comparing the two and establishing a rule? (If possible)

renminds

Italian - Italy
    Can I ask why exactly the 'di' doesn't work?
    If I were to write it I probably wouldn't include it, but with expressions like "Piacere di conoscerti!" where 'di' follows piacere are coming to mind and I can't find a method of explanation.

Let's say I was explaining this to someone (;)) I just wouldn't have a clue how to explain the rule

It's great to hear from you - Sono molto contento di sentirti.
    It's great to hear from you - Mi fa piacere sentirti.
    Hi Alxmrphi! :)
    I would explain it in this way:

#1 - Mi fa piacere sentirti
    In this case, you should notice that the verb "sentire" bound with "te" (sentirti - hear from you) acts like subject of the sentence and that "mi" stands for "a me" and it is the indirect object. Said that, you can rewrite the sentence in a more clear order, although disliked by our ears:

Sentirti fa piacere a me.

There's no room for "di", it doesn't help at all, it does'n make any sense.

#2 - (Ho) Piacere di conoscerti / Sono molto contento di sentirti
    In these phrases you posted, "conoscerti" and "sentirti" are indirect object (you can note that "io" is the real, tacit subject) and furthermore the phrases convey a complete meaning just with the verb, in the first one, and with the adjective "contento" in the second one. The actions they describe are not transitive, and "conoscerti" and "sentirti" are extra components added to the phrase to enlarge their meaning.
    I write some translations just to make all this thing clearer:

Ho piacere. = I'm pleased.
    Ho piacere di conoscerti. = I'm pleased to meet you.

Sono molto contento. = I'm very happy.
    Sono molto contento di conoscerti. = I'm very happy to meet you.

As you can see, now you do need the help of a preposition.

Bye,
    Renminds

Alxmrphi

UK English
    That's amazing renminds, exactly what I was after, I wasn't sure whether piacere was a verb or a noun in that example, it seems to me it could be both.
    Thanks though, that's great, the explanations were really good! :D

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    That's amazing renminds, exactly what I was after, I wasn't sure whether piacere was a verb or a noun in that example, it seems to me it could be both.
    Thanks though, that's great, the explanations were really good! :D

Yes, but you also right that "piacere" could be a noun as well - in fact, you can say "quando avro' il piacere di sentirti ? "

bschultz

English and Visayan
    Ciao,

Could this sentence also be translated as: "È molto bene di sentirti"? Haha, it's probably wrong so I would appreciate any help :D

Grazie in anticipo,
    bschultz :)

< Previous | Next >